corrosion correction?

mmmmdonuts

I use my car all year round, and last Winter, once they had salted the roads, my windscreen supports corroded and are now no where near their original shiny self.  I would love to get them back to their former glory.  Anyone got any tips for a good product to use?

elbow grease,-nothing else works. seriously. use 400-800-1200 wet,n,dry then brasso duraglit etc to recover the finish(or other mechanical means) BUT when you get it back right quite simply grease it up for the winter then use it. Also dont forget to slap as much waxoyl etc as you can get to stick to the underside/suspension.It realy does matter.

Brian

If like me you have an alergy to elbow grease (an afliction I have had to live with since birth) I would suggest a bench grinder with a polishing mop attachment. You can make event the roughest surface mirror finish in no time. Make sure you get some nice green polishing paste.

I noticed your window supports have started to corrode, mine too, and also like me you have a sport carbon.

Mine has started to corrode around the fixing bolts - sounds like a catalytic reaction between the steel bolts and aluminium supports.  The bolts should be cadmium or zinc plated.  Any one else had this experience?

Maybe we should approach the factory together to rectify the problem.  Can discuss at the first Thames Valley meeting when I finally get the venue and dates sorted out.

Do you have a picture u can send me?

I will have a look at them today as it is looking sunny out.  I think I might have to go for a spin.  I don't think I have any close up pics of the supports, and I don't have a digital camera.  I was very surpised that the supports corroded the way they have.  I never really thought about it after picking my car up, I just presumed they would be anodised or lacquered.

I was also surprised at how quickly the springs on the front suspension corroded. I managed to sort one side out by driving my car into a golf GTI, and having it all replaced on the insurance, but the other side still looks a bit crappy.

When I said catalytic reaction, I meant electrolytic reaction, I think!

The bolts used on mine are stainless steel.  I believe that is where the corrosion has started.  Unfortunately it seems that the supports will need to be removed to be re-finished.

I will speak to the factory tomorrow to discuss.

Just looking out the window, it does look like a Westy day!

The bolts seem fine on mine, it is just oxidation of the aluminium that is a problem.  Looking at your photo, you have black supports so I guess you don't have the same problem.

Started raining before I got out yesterday   :angry:

The bolts on mine are also fine.  I meant the oxidation of the aluminium has started from the threads out.  In other words, the corrosion has started underneath the painted black and caused the paint to bubble.  In some areas the paint has peeled off.

The stainless steel bolts being more anodic than the aluminium have caused the reaction I believe.