older model then converting it

neo

if i was to buy a cheaper westie say a £3-4 grand one with a x flow motor in and run it for a year for track days etc,then convert it to say a cosworth or zetec power,later on would there be any problems, with say the chassis etc or would i have to sell it and buy another one,basically i want a westie but get it the cheapest way possible, and spend the money on it as i go along, as it isnt such a chunk that way, as laying out £12,000 for a top spec one already made,as wife is against the whole idea so no back up there, so got to tread carefully im sure you no what i mean,as she says i should sell my M3 Evo but thats not going to happen ethier. ???  ???

as she says i should sell my M3 Evo

Quite right !!  And for no better reason than it's an M3 Evo ;)

The one option you haven't mentioned is buying a second hand car and then enjoying it while you figure out what you do and don't like about it so you can then either buy another car more in line with your requirements or build one to your ideal specification.

I built one from scratch to the spec which I *thought* I wanted, but which has subsequently been changed.

Buying second hand has the advantage of getting a car that's ready to drive and enjoy and gets you thinking about what you want from the car, e.g. stripped out loony machine or long distance comfortable tourer.

I bought my car a year ago and it is a 1990 SEiW originally fitted with xflow but later fitted with an 1800 zetec  :D  - it is possible to do this conversion without too many probs as many on here can testify but if you go the Cossie route the exhaust/carbs are the 'wrong' way round so the holes in the body/bonnet will need changing  :(

Try to get a SEW or SEiW as there's a lot more room in the cockpit and you can have proper seats too  :cool:

I bought my "basic" old technology SE XFlow in May 2001. I decided to start on the lower rungs of the ladder to see

1. if I would enjoy having a Westfield  :zzz: Daft question to ask myself now.

2. wanted to know that I could 'use' the performance and handling rather then fearing that at every corner I would end up facing the way I had just come!

I used to run an 8injector 16v turbo Golf with water methanol injection, 230bhp and 230lbft torque. This gave many high performance tin tops a real scare, but it just lacked the involvement and occasion of the Westfield.

I don't miss the searing performance of the Golf, but now I do want more from the Westie and in some respects I wish I had bought a more powerful Westfield but overall  I am pleased with the way I entered into the wonderful world of Sevening.

We all have to start somewhere and I think that you need a period of time to find out what you want.

JOhn

I would suggest the X-flow to Vx 16v route as the engine flows in the same direction. ie exhaust on the left on both engines.

I built my car originally with a X-flow in 1992. 150 bhp then was fine but nowdays it seems a bit tame so three years ago swapped out to Vx power. The transplant was easy with no mods to the chassis required.

constructive comments all of them i think i will take your advice and go along a wide body version of early manifacture to keep the price low  and if i enjoy it i can look at upgrading it then, :0