insurance

J M C

Hill House Hammond insure one of my cars, MSM the other. Both are surprisingly similar, expense wise, but Dave Spragg at MSM is a top bloke. When I find the numbers, I'll put them up.........

MSM don't insure for track days, HHH will, but check the terms and conditions.

I went with Footman James and couldn't believe how cheap it was for my car, £163 fully comp, 3k mileage annually (this is half what it cost for my 1200 Bandit)  :D  :D

but then I am an old fart  ;)

Mine with FJ was £238 fully comp with unlimited mileage, and track day cover, Adrian Sux cancelled my policy because i hadn't sent them my proof of no claims within 5 weeks. I'm still trying to get my premium back (over a year on) :arse:  :angry:

Chris

Chris

Did FJ give you track day cover as standard? I paid £250 for mine and they still wanted about £50 per day for track day coverage. AND, they wanted an excess of £2500!!

Is that normal?

Stu

I'm with HHH. MSM quoted me £200.50 and HHH beat that quote (by 50p) so I went with them as I got the feeling that MSM was run out of someones living room.

Stu

Sorry i got it wrong i'm with osbourne and son not footman james phoned home and had the wife check after your post.

As already stated by N_J trackday cover is included but the excess rises with trackday use.

Unlimmited mileage ('cos i intended to use it all year round), I'm Aged 28 Full NCB on a 1991 1700 X-Flow SEiW cover was £238.25.

Chris

I'm with HHH, cost is £137 Fully Comp 3500miles pa. 29 at the time of insuring.

I dropped the legal cover and personal accident cover (total £23)

Car is a 1600 Xflow and is garaged and classed as a second car.

Renewal is due in May.

John

Insured with Adrian Flux

I took out a policy with them in May 2001, based on a quotation.  Some weeks later they threatened to cancel my policy because I hadn't sent them a certificate of 'thatcham approved immobiliser' (apparently this is needed if the car is valued at over £12000).  There was no mention of this before I took out the policy.  As it happened my car was fitted with a thatcham approved immobiliser ( but I didn't have a certificate).

I explained to them that the car was factory built with a factory installed immobiliser.  After many letters and phone calls they finally excepted this.

Adrian F*ux, only insured with them because they were slightly cheaper than FJ.  I have experienced poor customer service and I won't be renewing with them in May.

Have also had bad experience with Adrian F*ux where they issued me with the wrong cover despite my submission of a correctly filled out application - to cut a long story short, my car wasn't in fact insured for about 3 months as the cover they issued stipulated that the car must be in a securely locked garage over night when in fact it wasn't.  Quotes I've had subsequently have also been substantially lower than my premium with them.

On this note, has anyone come up with any easy and cost efective way of insuring a Westy for only part of the year (eg. for 6 or 8 months during the supposedly better weather) without having to take out a 12 month policy and then cancel it?  I know many people advocate keeping it on the road all year round (as I have done in the past), but from a cash perspective it makes sense to only pay for the part of the year that you are likely to use the car most.

Does anyone have any bright ideas or would I better off posting this as a new topic???

Cheers

Simon

Insured with FJ, took out policy through Westfield when I bought the kit (modular build) - cost me £150 to insure during build and if I got it on the road within a year I got the rest of the year fully comp unlimited mileage for no extra fee.

Renewal came around and they quoted me £96  :D  fully comp unlimited mileage - I rang to check and they confirmed. Since then my next renewal went up to £200 ish after they realised their mistake last year  :arse:

Mike

Simon. I know a really sad tale of someone who owned a proper AC Cobra and only insured it 6 months of the year. Guess when someone broke into his garage and nicked it?

I have to say that FJ have been a very good insurance company. I took out the insurance almost a year ago on my factory built Westie and they were very efficient when someone crashed into me. Hasn't been repaired yet but thats a different story (at least I've got the parts now). 32 at time of insurance and it cost £250 as mentioned above

Stu

OK. Phone numbers.............

HHH 01733 310665

MSM, Dave Spragg 01279 870535. I think he works from home, but is by no means a dodgy insurance man. He's very talkative on the phone, so set aside a few moments to discuss your requirements with him. I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised. He insures lots of c******m's, so is used to dealing with se7en owners and their requirements.