Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Thanks Bernie - will probably nip out today for speed

their prices look good

wipped up some brackets tonight -- grrr swarf, filings, loud noises, grazed knuckles and other various garage fun

SANY3576.jpg

they go here ready for mounting onto the shock towers

SANY3578.jpg

help I am turning into an angle grinder  :suspect:

pipe looks really long and gangly in the pictures - grrr humpf

Another dozen or so of those and you can play croquet with beach balls!

Keep it up Cleggy, can you get it done before summer ends?

I wanted to get it done by the end of this year - will see how I go - an ever moving goal post it is  :D

which decade never mind which year  :laugh:

some 718 videos I found on the tube

this one is interesting although very poor quality - looks like number 88 at the end of the video is a 718 rsk

http://www.dailymotion.com/video....au_auto

and some 550 vids

and this 356  :love:

Maxted Page are round the corner from us - I'm pretty sure that's sold, so no need for a whip round.

nip round and take some pictures Sam  :D

started on the welding of the rear frame today - struggled with getting really good looking welds - although they may be a little rough looking but they certainly are strong with good penetration

am finding with the little 130 amp mig that after a few minutes of welding on the high settings quality of weld seems to drop right off - I don't think it is anything I am doing wrong as I have no problems getting good looking welds when doing bits n pieces

bigger welded really required  :oops:

SANY3598.jpg

re-fitted the dynamo before I started welding it all up - few !! just enough room for the fan belt

tube has not arrived yet for the other supports - these off cuts are about 10cm too short  :bangshead:

of course I have spent ages on this just assuming that the rear section would still fit with the new framework - more by luck than judgement it fits nice n snug with an inch or two to spare

SANY3605.jpg

SANY3601.jpg

SANY3604.jpg

SANY3600.jpg

cue more jokes ref extensive use of metal  :arse:

b****r just spent 10 minutes doing an update - as I posted it I got a PM (thanks Liam) and somehow lost my update

well second time lucky

missus been out tonight at the gym so a few more special garage moments  :D - she has been busy burning of the tub of twiglets she thinks I don't know about and have rather greedily gobbled up  :oops:

drilled holes for seatbelt slugs using one of these bad boys - very effective

SANY3611.jpg

used a bit of box section to line up the others

SANY3615.jpg

SANY3619.jpg

recessed them in so that body can be lifted nice n easy

SANY3612.jpg

and finally lopped off the bit of box section - will be making some brackets to weld onto the chassis tube

SANY3621.jpg

finally some weight saving  :laugh:

You don't want to do that  :sheep:

drilling ruddy great 'oles  :arse:

That's taking weight off  :t-up:

I wonder when the Bernie would pop in for a P**s take  :laugh:

---------------------

got these of our very own John (Fish) -  :t-up:

SANY3614.jpg

fit a treat

thanks Tony - 2nd and last day off today so progress will be a little slower from this point on

started off today by making up the little brackets that are to be welded onto the axle tube

same method - marked up with marker pen, angle grinder to cut then bench grinder and file to finish up

SANY3642.jpg

ended up with these ready for drilling and welding on

SANY3645.jpg

next job was to make up some little square plates for the lower seatbelt slugs - drilled and welded up to the side of the chassis tube

SANY3652.jpg

then straight through both side of the box section for the outside mounting points

everything fits in nicely

SANY3660.jpg

seatbelts trial fitted - think I will put some slots into the side of the seats

SANY3663-1.jpg

managed to man handle the front section of the body up so more progress could be made without reying on a m8 - looks really good - funny car style  :laugh:  dont give me ideas  :oops:

SANY3654.jpg