Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

a smidgeon more done tonight

made up the sleeves by removing a centimetre and squidging in the vice - turned out better than I thought and with a bit of tweaking provided a nice tight fit for the outer bar

SANY3532.jpg

spotted every cm working opposite sides to avoid distortion

SANY3531.jpg

SANY3534.jpg

started off filling with weld but me little old mig dont like much more than a five minutes welding so will continue tomorrow night

the plan is to take the excess off with the grinder then hand finish with file - fingers crossed you will never know there was a join their once painted

you can see from the picture that the moulding of the bodywork behind the driver is wonky - the straight level framework has highlighted this   :down:

cleggy

if you go to this link http://type550.com/blueprint/car-specs/quad-cam-engine/  scroll down to the bottom picture and look at the pictures (click on the arrows) and you will see what I mean 2x dizzys on the front of the engine 1 plug per cylinder and one dizzy feeding the left bank and 1 feeding the right bank. I love the photo showing a line of quad cam engines they would make a great retirement fund :D

lewis

cleggy

if you go to this link http://type550.com/blueprint/car-specs/quad-cam-engine/  scroll down to the bottom picture and look at the pictures (click on the arrows) and you will see what I mean 2x dizzys on the front of the engine 1 plug per cylinder and one dizzy feeding the left bank and 1 feeding the right bank. I love the photo showing a line of quad cam engines they would make a great retirement fund :D

lewis

blimey great find chap - I want one  :love:

2x dizzys on the front of the engine 1 plug per cylinder and one dizzy feeding the left bank and 1 feeding the right bank

Ain't it 2 plugs per cylinder on one of these? If you look at the slideshow pics you can see it.

The principal being that one plug in the centre of the cylinder leaves less room for big valves and doesn't burn so efficiently as two - one on either side. Four would be better still of course.

Alfa, amongst others, are still at it in road cars but the benefit doesn't seem that huge in practice when you weigh up the practical complications and costs.

Ain't it 2 plugs per cylinder on one of these? If you look at the slideshow pics you can see it

yes it certainly looks like it, never seen one in the flesh so to speak cant find any detail on plugs but I know it is only 2 valves per cylinder.

lewis

ok I dont mind admitting I under estimated the amount of work to remove the welds and clean up flat so you could not see where the joins were - but two nights work and finally got from this

SANY3536.jpg

to this - used the two bits of box to measure the drop - surprised that I was only 1mm out so was easy to rectify with me old m8

SANY3541.jpg

tacked up in place - again you can see how wonky the body is in that particular area (at least it is not seen) - will just have to live with that for the foreseeable - perhaps when I eventually have a spray job get it fixed at that time

SANY3544.jpg

the plan going forward I think is to extend these 30 degree bends towards the new bit of framework - I was going to try to weld the bar to the frame but have figured that I really have not got the patience to get the shape right, so will probably use some chunky rose joints and weld on some brackets - this should look tidy and save a lot of work - will also allow some movement to adjust for perfect fit for the rear section that extends out

SANY3547.jpg

whilst I am at this part I may well decide to make some tork bars to stop the forks from twisting

good work mate

keep it up :t-up:

i'll inspect it when i next come up ;)

Really enjoying this thread Cleggy.

But...

I reckon you should start again.

Junk everything except the body and trim, [get Chaz to] build a space frame, fit a 6 pot Porsche lump and box and build a 600kg, 200+bhp Westfield eater.

Just an idea. :)

Really enjoying this thread Cleggy.

But...

I reckon you should start again.

Junk everything except the body and trim, [get Chaz to] build a space frame, fit a 6 pot Porsche lump and box and build a 600kg, 200+bhp Westfield eater.

Just an idea. :)

umm lack of cash, time and ability makes that not realistic and most importantly I want to do it myself

I have a 200bhp westy for the thrills  :D

still working on trying to replace the crappy framework that was fitted to the car when I got it -

using the lighter wall stuff for the rear section this flew together tonight

SANY3551.jpg

a reminder of how the seatbelts had no upper mounts at all  :suspect: and the old engine cover support that went around the back of the engine which had some bodged brackets

SANY1264.jpg

ordered some rose joints for the front section today and some 25mm x 5mm flat for the brackets onto the shock tower

forgot I used to have a strip of carpet down in the garage  :D

Will you want a lift soon mate! :)

If so give me a shout when your ready.

Will you want a lift soon mate! :)

If so give me a shout when your ready.

thanks Tony - may well need a hand to fit the brackets that drop down to the pivot on the bodywork  :t-up:  although I suppose I should get the front located right before I do that  :bangshead:

---------------------------

done a bit of a u-turn on the rear section - decided not to use the 30 degree bends I purchased of ebay - have extended all the way to the hoop - gonna be pretty sturdy

SANY3567.jpg

tacked it up tonight but cannot do any more cause I need a 12mm drill for the holes on the shock tower brackets  :bangshead:

SANY3570.jpg

the fun part will be cutting the pipe on the hoop support

SANY3574.jpg

off to buy a drill bit tomorrow and some more tubing :oops:

Cleggy, Gustov Eifel called - he wants some of his steelwork back.

Just kidding, doing a great job, can't wait for the next installment of "Money-Reducing Techniques".