Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Did a simmilar thing on a flue for the wood burning stove in the garage.  Had to take a lot more out of the cut than I thought I would, and keeping it round was tricky.

have visions of oval pipe -thanks for your comments will see how it goes - the sleeve will be 1.5mm so hopefully that will make it easier

I reckon 70-90 bhp would be more than enough to keep up with the traffic and be safe lower speed fun and you can do that with the beetle engine and save a lot of hassle

A couple of years ago I did the Cambridge area treasure hunt in a 356 rep with a twin carb 1776cc lump, purported to be 80bhp.

It felt about perfect, torquey enough to get the car along briskly without having to rev it, not fast by any means but you really don't want to go fast in one, there are limits to the handling and they just don't encourage you to press on. It was loads of fun though, sawing away at the wheel and sliding about on top of the seats.

If the Cambs boys remember, it turned out it was actually faster than everything else that entered, including a certain 280bhp 7 with 2CV headlights and PollyX's 4billion-bhp Cossie - though that may be cos it broke down. :)

g11.jpg

Cleggy, I spent this morning at JD Classics in Maldon (for anyone interested they have an open morning every month through the summer).  I couldn't help but notice this Porsche 550 which they'd got in their motorsport workshop having recently returned from running in this years mille miglia.

This is one of four works cars built for the 1954 LeMans and the only one retaining it's original Type 547 4-cam engine. (few more pics here)  

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3365.jpg

loving the 356 Sam - that must have brought a smile to your face - glad someone agrees with me on the BHP front for this car - wouldnt a bike engine be a laugh in one of these  :devil:

perhaps not that in keeping though

Smokey - that is very   :cool: looks like a complete car from the front  :oops:

appreciate yer takin the time out to post the piccies up  :t-up: - I like the alloy drilled floor plates -- mmm wonder if I can incorporate that into the footwell?

IMG_3365.jpg

agreed - reminds me of half jet engine and half WW2 prop engine - very cool  :cool:

I like the alloy drilled floor plates -- mmm wonder if I can incorporate that into the footwell?

But surely that would reduce weight rather than add it  :D  :D  :D

The more you do to that car the better it looks! A truly fantastic project.

Is it me, or does that engine have two dizzies? I didn't know they split open like that either.

Brian - less of the jokes ref weight  :laugh: thanks for your comments  :t-up:

single dizzy I reckon (guessing) - think that one looks like a spare although it did make me look twice as it half looks like it's attached -  never know it might have twin plugs per cylinder  :oops: that must have been tried in the past surely?

cannot find info yet online - but will try to find out for sure

I cannot get me head around why you would need 2 dizzys for a four cylinder

Lewis explain to my thicky here please  :laugh:

I'm struggling to get my head around how it works but it's definately 2 dizzy's and quad cams, here's another pic from the other side.

However it works, it's a piece of art :cool:

Edit: found this but still no clearer

IMG_3367.jpg

simply put each pair of cylinders has two camshafts and is treated as a separate  engine hence four cylinders = 2 engines = 2xdizzys :p  its a lot more complicated than that some 6 cylinder porches have two plugs per cylinder and a dizzy with 12 leads. Put up a post on DDK if you want the difinitive  answer.

lewis

it was the four leads on the dizzy caps that was confusing -

so you assume that dizzy that is resting on the bench fits onto the opposite side top head

will need to investigate to see if it has x 2 leads/plugs per cylinder - very interesting