Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

cleggy i have my old roll bar in the garage if its any use to you for the inserts.

give me a shout if its any good mate.

Also dug out them flexi brake pipes which are 15-16 inches long approx.

will bring them up when i next come up. Looks like they match yours too :t-up:

cleggy i have my old roll bar in the garage if its any use to you for the inserts.

give me a shout if its any good mate.

Also dug out them flexi brake pipes which are 15-16 inches long approx.

will bring them up when i next come up. Looks like they match yours too :t-up:

hey Tony - I need some 36mm outside diameter tube - which I struggled to find any online last night

I suppose I could either go without or I could get some that is slightly larger (i think 38mm was avaliable) and cut along the centre and then re-size

do you know the size of the tube on your roll bar?

the brake pipes sounds great m8

if you fancy a ride out let me know later this week (not thursday)- perhaps come to you to sample your local roads  :t-up:

I like that  :)

You should hang that last one in the Tate  :t-up:

jackson pollocks to you  :p

No seriously , give it a title , something like

"thoughts of a spider " or

"spiders eye view of Robert the Bruce "

waddya think ?

would be great !

submit it , gotta be worth thousands from what I've seen  :oops:

(dont forget my 20% of all commissions and royalties ) :t-up:

you basically saying that art is a load of old cobblers - I think I agree in most cases  :devil:

got the brackets nearly made up - just need welding up where they have been cut to bend

SANY3492.jpg

will add a bit more of a groove so I can fill with weld

SANY3491.jpg

mocked this up to try to get my head around it - obviously the 90 degree bends will need lifting up and will try to get them to follow the curves of the bodywork (all this is unseen when engine lid closed by the way)

SANY3493.jpg

to support the bar will be two braces running back from the top and will join onto the 30 degree bends - this will then flow out around the back of the engine to hinge the engine cover on - well that's the theory  :suspect: - they will be welded onto the brackets I am yet to make up for the top mount of the shock absorber towers

the bit that goes around the engine is thinner 1.5mm mild steel

Looks like its all going to plan  :t-up: see Mr angle grinders been out to play again  :D

Going to be fun getting the rear tube work in the right place to hinge the rear body off, recon you could be spending a bit of time doing this  :bangshead:   :laugh:

My cars all sorted now but still cant understand how the small bits of grit managed to get in the carbs in the first place, that's the second time its happened  :bangshead:  

With two fuel filters fitted now it cant come that way again, the only other thing i can think of is through the air filter as the carbs are pressurized it could get in the float bowls through the breather pipes so going to clean and re-oil the air filter next, That's when i get round to getting some filter oil.

yeah loving the noise  :t-up:

gonna be a matter of tacking up the front and then going from there - like you say not easy to get it all straight and true

glad it was nowt serious with your car - just shows it dont need much in there to cause running issues

see Mr angle grinders been out to play again  :D

Has Stew Pickles been down to see you Cleggy! ;)

Its coming along well bud keep up the good work

Buzz

not heard from the pickles yet

thanks for the comments, glad to see you are still tuning in

the next 3-4 weeks should really see the project coming on with the rear section and seat belt mountings going in  :)

still avoiding the bodywork level up  :blush:

Just get on with it man ;)

Just get on with it man ;)

no rush Tony, no rush  :laugh:

midge more done tonight - welded up the support framework and blanked up the ends for neatness - just needs little bit of finishing with my old m8

now ready to start messing around with the height of the framework

SANY3502.jpg

SANY3500.jpg

found this on Porsche site

http://www.porsche.com/uk....718rs60

Now 160 bhp sounds more like it.

I thought building a Westie was hard but this is something different....but no carbon yet or other weight saving. It is going to be  :cool:  :cool:

thanks chap  :t-up:

gonna need members of the WSCC to push me off it's gonna be so heavy  :laugh:

maybe I should make some push handles for the back  ;)

the more I get into the project the more the question of increasing BHP comes to mind - I reckon get it built - try it out, see how I feel about it (do I really want to go much quicker if a 60 year design) if the answer is yes there are various options available which I have already started to investigate  :devil:

first job though is to get it on the road as engine swaps are super easy - especially with this body shell

quad cam engines are like rocking horse sh## one went on US ebay recently for $150,000 and that was cheap start saving :D scooby engines are an easy transplant one or two speedsters driving around with them.

lewis

Hey m8

must admit I don't see the point of sticking in the subaru powerplant - ok it makes it mid engined but that really is too much power for the beetle chassis pretty much no matter what you do to it unless you have a big budget - would not want the missus or anyone else killing themselves in it the first corner it comes too - I have read quite a bit on people that have had conversions done and if you read between the lines they are a handful unless an immense amount of development is done - the subaru engine in an atom style car is more of my liking with a proper chassis

from what I have read the car perhaps has anywhere between 45-55 bhp as it stands depending upon condition - I may well be happy with that - I reckon 70-90 bhp would be more than enough to keep up with the traffic and be safe lower speed fun and you can do that with the beetle engine and save a lot of hassle

mind you subaru power would be mental  :devil:

--------------------------

more done - chopped the pipe up to size for the seatbelt support bar - ground the edges off to an angle to fill with weld

SANY3526.jpg

have drawn a blank with getting some 36mm O/D tube to use a sleeve to help line up the pipe and add strength where it joins

managed to resist the temptation to weld it up as it was without a sleeve -don't know how  :suspect:

SANY3528.jpg

so the plan as mentioned earlier will be to use some 38 O/D pipe - cut a slot along the pipe then try to resize it - anyone else ever had to do this? is it likely to work?

Yup its something ive had done ,  I chopped a short length of tube in half and "flattened" it (opened it up to the right diameter ) iyswim then got my pet welding shop to do the rest , twas to join 2 lenghts of 2 1/2 " 316 grade stainless .

worked a treat  :t-up: