Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I only live there you know  :laugh:

spent the last few nights cleaning up the steering components - using mixture of angle grinder with a wire brush (mental kit), bench grinder with wire wheel, various wire wheels in the drill and also a wire wheel in a dremel - still got all my fingers so I would call that a result

removed the rubber covers off each of the track rods and inspected for wear - one is shagged and will be replaced

SANY3333.jpg

steering box arm was removed to help with the clean up -

SANY3344.jpg

car resting on the tiles that Tony set level for me - still cannot say I am looking forwards to the body level up though - couldnt afford to have the whole floor tiled   :D

SANY3345.jpg

all the cleaned up metal has been smeared with copper grease - found this strangely rewarding  :suspect:

all the cleaned up metal has been smeared with copper grease - found this strangely rewarding  :suspect:

Strange what floats yer boat 'innit? :blush:

Replacing all the jubilee clips on mine with proper sprung hose fastening clips, (can't remember what they're called!) was strangely therapeutic......

Edit: Constant tension clamps....  ;)

I think I need to get out a bit more.... :laugh:  :D

Cleggy, got to admire your thougrough apprach to this re-build it's gonna be a special car when finished!

The frightening thing is imagining racing that car with only those skinny little tyres between you and the track  :sheep:

whats the point of the hyraulic boot-close-thingy-ma-jig on the steering? it it for self centering or just to add a little wieght to it all?

@ lippydave - one of many things that floats my boat  :devil: - my shiney fuel pipe finishers should be here soon - hopefullly equally theraputic  :D

@ bananaman - thanks - it's sorta coming along slowly - got some plans to strengthen the framehead front to back which will sort out the lack of triangulation where the steering is

@ pistonbroke - the original spyders had 150 horses plus, on skinny tyres  :suspect: at least they were mid engined

@ dombanks - it's a steering damper - engine in the rear means very light steering

he original spyders had 150 horses plus, on skinny tyres  :suspect: at least they were mid engined

As James Deanfound out to his cost.

lewis

as you know was a 550 that got him - I believe he called it his "little b*****d"

just off to ggogle this to check  :blush:

will we get to see it at stoneleigh :p

2011  :blush:

will we get to see it at stoneleigh :p

2011  :blush:

dont you mean 2020 :devil:

LOL at that. :D

I told everybody I was going to get the Beetle to Bug Jam when I first got it. What I failed to tell them was what year. ;)

Incidentally that was 17 years ago and I'm still planning the trip. :laugh:

let's hope this project don't take 17 years  :suspect:

this is the plan for the front end - have on order some lower front beem supports from Machine 7 (like the ones pictured below but straight) these are used to help prevent the front beam and framehead from flexing

for the top of the axle beam I intend to use some tubing - may use some rose joints either end bit like a westy RAC roll bar as the tubes will have to be fitted after the bodywork goes on - should help strengthen up the framework around the pedal area too

frontend.jpg

also ordered a new master cylinder, track rod end and various other bits n pieces - plus more steel - as far as I am concerned this car cannot be heavy enough  :laugh:  ;)

oh and the theraputic sytec fuel hose finishers have arrived - they are cool  :cool:

looking good mate

keep at it.

ps     did you sell your jump leads :devil:  :laugh:  :laugh: