Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

it would if you was building it from scratch as would any kit/replica

not for me though as I am just restoring it so when time comes I shall just get an MOT and away I go

road tax is zilch too - cheap fun motoring

Didn't think the spyder or the speedster needed IVA when I built my speedster they did not, they took the registration from  the car they were built from ie a beetle but re registered as a spyder/speedster, have things changed?

lewis

you could well be right if they use the original chassis and just rebody - sorta makes sense I guess

I assume other speedsters for sale use their own chassis rather than a complete doner cars chassis so would need the test???

Just for you Bernie beens you were so interested in the pedal arrangement  ;)

SANY32532.jpg

spent an hour in front of the wire wheel tonight - exciting stuff  :(  - pedal assembly all cleaned up reet neece n spangly

cable shortening kit arrived today so will be messing around adjusting pedals and puttting some floor in for the go pedal

SANY3255.jpg

Got quite a bit of stuff on the way to me - inc cb inline fuel pump and filter, 5m of stainless 8mm fuel pipe and, 10 x pipe finishers, fuel pump block off plate and a set of spark plugs - when I get the fuel tank back from Trev I intend to get the engine fired up to check on the carbs - just wish I had of put the clutch in  :oops: so that I cold have finished off the clutch cable - engine in and out due shortly

that will be exciting for me  :cool:

Nice work again Cleggs  :cool:

looks a lot better from close up and can see how they fit

But must remeber to wipe yer feet now before climbing aboard , wouldn't want to see you sully them  ;)

yup gotta watch me mucky mits now  :laugh:

a few problems that I need to overcome

first one is the guy that built the car used the same go pedal without modifications that you would find on a standard beetle - trouble is with the spyder you are sitting on the floor so the angle you push on the pedal has changed - so made up some trial pivots and tacked them up - also routed the cable through

extended the linkage to bring the pedal up to near vertical position

SANY0076.jpg

SANY0079.jpg

the other problem is the tube that passes through the fansgroud does not line up with the arm on the hex linkage - so cable wear will be an issue unless I get this sorted

SANY0082.jpg

SANY0081.jpg

think I need the engine outta this beast - went to santapod today

SANY0037.jpg

that would look and sound cracking - you gonna buy me it  :laugh:

I am looking forwards to my Chrimbo pressie from Bernie - get saving up chap  :laugh:

finished of the go pedal tonight (other than some welding) - works a treat

Dave wipped me up a spindle n sleeve which I then modified by welding on a head and drilling the other end for a split pin - thanks m8

the beetle pedal was then chooped about to remove the original roller slide (yup I bought the wrong one) and cut off the old "born to fail" hinges that come as standard ready for the welding on of the sleeve

SANY0098.jpg

SANY0100.jpg

pretty good spacing although I may chop the clutch and brake pedal and move them slightly to the left?

SANY0102.jpg

pedal stop tacked on - just gotta sort a spring out and weld the stop on and it's pretty much done for this pedal

SANY0104.jpg

will be sorting out the lining up issue of the throttle cable through the fan shroud tomorrow

vegatable rights for peas !!!

Nice piece of work there Cleggy. :t-up:

Better than the stub I use,  just the bent shaft without a peddle. :D

you save weight - I add it  :laugh:

more or less finished up the engine end of the throttle linkage - extended the hole upwards in the fanshroud so the throttle cable tube sits up higher (to line up with the drop bar on the hex linkage) - the used a repair washer to tidy up the hole, shaped it a little so the dynamo will fit and welded in place - managed to distort the shroud a little so had to add some tacks inside to bring it back straight

SANY0114.jpg

SANY0113.jpg

might start on the clutch tomorrow