Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

picked up some babydells yesterday - just off out into the garage to see if they will fit under the hood - fingers crossed

SANY3221.jpg

SANY3220.jpg

SANY3219-1.jpg

One step forwards two steps back

trial fitted the carbs and fan housing tonight

first problem is that the framework that the rear body section hinges on is in the way so will have to make/modify it to fit (was never really happy with it anyway)

SANY3235.jpg

both carbs sat in place

SANY3236.jpg

the next issue was the new fan housing I purchased at Dubfreeze - upon trial fitting the old and new housings they both measure 31.5cm from the highest point on the crankcase - there is more of a circular shape to the top of the new fan housing and I am hoping that this will cure my problems

you can see how the person that made the car actually wacked the fan housing with a hammer to make it fit under the bonnet rather than do a proper job - sorta figures with this car I guess  :laugh:

old and new

SANY3239.jpg

linkage needed some adjustment as I believe it originally lived on a camper

SANY3241.jpg

certainly looks so much more the business with a twin carb setup

SANY3245.jpg

the central lever on the hex bar does not appear to have enough drop on it - so may need to either lengthen it or adjust the mounting points of the bar on the filter housings?

SANY3242.jpg

so really need to offer up the rear hood at some point to see how things look clearance wise

Jeeez Cleggy , you sure got some work to do , looking nice and shiny though , keep it going ive just ordered some new "shades " ready for the next update  :cool::cool:  :cool:

well thanks - will look much shinier when it all starts to come to bits for blast and paint - just gotta get everything working/fitting right first

that seems a long way off at the moment  :(

its amazing how you bolt on a couple of bits and it looks like you have done loads.

will bell you soon about doing the garage floor.

keep at it mate ;)

can't you transplant a 4 cylinder Porche engine under the rear end? ???

After all with the extra weight.... :blush:  :blush:

I'll get me coat! :D

cost way too much - beetle motors are cheap to tune if required - and I don't see much point in strapping a Porsche engine onto a beetle chassis TBH

@ Tony - done more than bolted a few bits on  :p  - spent a few hours last night repairing the tin ware which had various hairline cracks - good practice welding the thin stuff

oh and ordered those MINI DV's last night + plus 8gb type 6 cards - there on a slow boat  :laugh:

can't you transplant a 4 cylinder Porche engine under the rear end?

Never mind all that.

In my garage I have a suitable eaton supercharger, omex ecu and sensors and a single point throbble botty. All you need to do is fab up the pipework...

Get project Cleggy  - keep it up.  

We need more of these build threads!

@ Sam - don't temp me  :laugh:

@ Hammy - I really like reading through build threads too, shame there's not a few more on here willing to share their inexperiance, dangler ups and stupid ideas like me  :laugh:

oh and I have enjoyed your engine swap thread  :t-up: always think the VX is such a great looing engine - gonna pull you along at a fair old rate too  :cool:

nice to see you again today Bryan - enjoyed the little ride out  :t-up:

-------------------------

ok so the new fanshroud hits the hood - so started hacking away tonight - decided to weld in a stepped repair piece rather than try to do a flat piece - should be stronger and easier to tack in without distorting the tinware

me old m8 mr angle grinder says hello to mr fanshroud

SANY3247.jpg

SANY3250.jpg

I have some pre-bent sheet metal lined up for the repair - just gotta lay it on and mark around it - potential to warp fanshroud when the welding starts - b****y hell I am thinking aloud again  :oops:

Get project Cleggy  - keep it up.  

We need more of these build threads!

Agreed.....

Build threads, and more specifically rebuild/revamp threads such as Cleggy's are far more interesting than the usual fare of

"I spent housands of pounds on some ill-considered expensive components and bolted them together to build a rich-man's ignoramus GTI...." :devil:

Top work Cleggy.... ;)

I spent housands of pounds on some ill-considered expensive components and bolted them together to build a rich-man's ignoramus GTI...."[/b][/i] :devil:

Dont hold back dave, tell it like it is, speak your mind. Cue WW3 :laugh:

Ive ordered my new throttle cable,only problem is that it is 10 foot long, just got to find MY mate mr hacksaw then..............

I spent housands of pounds on some ill-considered expensive components and bolted them together to build a rich-man's ignoramus GTI...."[/b][/i] :devil:

Dont hold back dave, tell it like it is, speak your mind. Cue WW3 :laugh:

Ive ordered my new throttle cable,only problem is that it is 10 foot long, just got to find MY mate mr hacksaw then..............

you will make a right mess of it with Mr Hacksaw  :p

chisel and hammer unless you have some really good cutters would be my weapon of choice - oh and heat it up first and run some solder through it