Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Thanks Dave - what I have not let on yet is that I am doing every little job except the main thing that needs doing - getting the body to sit on straight

mental note - must stop avoiding this

tonight sees the speedo cable routed with a hole drilled in bulkhead and three small brackets made up and welded to the chassis - tested lock to lock and all appears good

SANY2918.jpg

SANY2917.jpg

SANY2919.jpg

I also altered the bracket that holds the brake fluid resevoir and lifted it up a bit so there is more drop on the pipes

SANY2916.jpg

hopefully fuel sender will arrive tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done tonight - revised the spec for the fuel tank and decided on 8mm ID fittings which should be more suitable for the twin carbs conversion - also ordered a breather valve for the tank which will sit next to the recess where the fuel dip tube will be located

SANY3179.jpg

oh and taxed the westy today - ride out tomorrow me thinks  :t-up:

and Dave too  :cool:

yup - looking forwards to seeing the mean machine

got my finger out tonight and started on the seat mounts

pulled the old seat covering to reveal the seat shells - might have guessed they might be in a bit of a poor state and would need some repair work - just as well my fibreglass repair kit arrived a few days ago that I purchased off ebay

made up 8 identical plates and drilled - chopped up some bolts and welded in place flush

SANY3222.jpg

SANY3223.jpg

SANY3225.jpg

SANY3226.jpg

spyder has had a bit of a back seat over the last few weeks since the weather changed and have quite a few blats out plus a week in Disney with the kids which was a much needed break

SANY3193.jpg

SANY3219.jpg

thanks to a very kind WSSC member who sent me a book on how to make a beetle handle I have (in my mind) spent a fair amount of dosh

well what do you need to make a swing axle beetle handle? assuming you dont want to do a later type IRS conversion)

1. rear camber compensator (stops the A*** end lift up under hard cornering) - basically a leaf type spring that mounts under the gearbox - the spring rests on the drive shaft tubes and helps to prevent downwards movement

2. lower rear to alter camber to help prevent again the rear outer wheel tucking under

3. fit a front anti roll bar

4. fit front beam support

5. maybe get a slightly wider tyre on the rear

6. fit some castor shims - sits between the front axle beem and chassis - required because the front end has been lowered with the axle adjusters altering castor causing problems with self centering and high speed stability

7. maybe invest in some spaz adjustable shocks

gonna cost 500-600 quid but will be worth it I think

after that much tinkering with suspension geometry - didnt realise the amount of adjustment that was available on such an old design - although I shall not be attemting to mess around with this myself

Oh and also got some secondhand twin carb dellorto's 34's lined up too (called baby dells) - these will sort the hood clearence issue with the single centrally mounted carb

Hope to pick them up at the weekend and also to get over to the guy who is going to make up the tank for me with the mounting bracket and dip tube

progress being made - just about  :suspect:

is "HDC" on the bins ..  House de Cleggy?

:laugh:  maybe I should get an HDC sticker for the westy and the spyder - maybe they might try to wheel them up the yard to the dustcart

Looks great alongside the wessy in the photo Cleggy :t-up:

But who's nicked the engine  :p  :p  :p

Nah, its "Home of Dem Cars" of course, stupid! :D  :D  :D

or 'higher disposal charge' to cover for all the post build debris going in those bins   ;)

Nah, its "Home of Dem Cars" of course, stupid! :D  :D  :D

surely 'deux' cars  :)