Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

There is a breather in the fuel cap after looking at it last night - but it is a bit of a job to test it how efficient it is other than try to seal your lips around it and blowing - and even my gob aint that big although it is big enough to get me into trouble :laugh:

So yup I am taking up Pistonbroke on the advice

Thanks Pistonbroke  :D  :t-up:

SANY2893.jpg

Cleggy you need to dump these discs they'll never get thro' the SVA never mind the MOT

Buzz

that's the kiddy looks like your getting good at it  :t-up:  - is that to scale?

nothing done to the car today directly but I did venture out to Dubfreeze at Stafford (2 hours drive each way) - roads were dodgy on the way there with most multi laners down to single file due to snow - spotted an overly confident articulated lorry get it totally wrong with a major middle lane snake, defo a brown tousers moment for him

travelled all that way and only spotted one beetle until within a few miles and then every other motor had the VW badge - cool

must admit and I being slowly but surely drawn into the whole VW scene - spoke to a number of people all were good down to earth sorta people - there was a huge selection of stuff to view, inc trade stands, show n shine, for sale area and loads of other eye candy - oh and a few bits of totty too :-)

anyway, two hours later I was walking out with a new fanshroud, two rear wheel cylinders, a Bergen mini paint spray gun (ideal for doing the bits n pieces I reckon?) and a few tools plus plenty of ideas

I also find myself being drawn to a karman ghia - mmm I wonder if I might have one in the future?

next job - start on mounting brake master cylinder resevoir - after looking at the master cyinder I have realised is actually a dual circuit and is fairly new, I assume it would have been replaced/upgraded a few years ago when the previous owner did the front disc brake conversion - so thats gonna save me a few bob

Yeah, its to scale.  Not quite got the hang of positioning stuff like fuel filler exactly, but its pretty much there.  I'll send you the file if you want, got an email?

cheers m8

clegghowe at hotmail.com

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Hi Cleggy

My mechanical speedometer needed recalibrating a while back, and I was told to put a chalk mark on the rear tyre, rotate it forward five times while counting the number of speedometer cable revolutions at the head - I think it about about 3.5 cable turns to 5 wheel turns in my case.  I sent the speedometer off with the info and they re-geared it for me.

Speedy Cables did the recalibration for me, but I assume suppliers will have correctly geared speedometers on the shelf.

Hope that helps in some way.  Keep up the good work!  :t-up:

Hi Cleggy

My mechanical speedometer needed recalibrating a while back, and I was told to put a chalk mark on the rear tyre, rotate it forward five times while counting the number of speedometer cable revolutions at the head - I think it about about 3.5 cable turns to 5 wheel turns in my case.  I sent the speedometer off with the info and they re-geared it for me.

Speedy Cables did the recalibration for me, but I assume suppliers will have correctly geared speedometers on the shelf.

Thanks

was that a Beetle? the reason I ask is that the speedo drive comes off the front wheel - not that it would make any difference

Hi Cleggy

Thanks

was that a Beetle? the reason I ask is that the speedo drive comes off the front wheel - not that it would make any difference

No, it was my Westie and the VDO speedometer.  But the principle should be the same.  Here's a good link in their web site.

Ok m8 - thanks for that  :t-up:

must admit and I being slowly but surely drawn into the whole VW scene - spoke to a number of people all were good down to earth sorta people - there was a huge selection of stuff to view, inc trade stands, show n shine, for sale area and loads of other eye candy - oh and a few bits of totty too :
-)

yes nice bunch they were selling magic mushrooms at the last one I attended  :D been offered a 70 1300 that needs restoring and must admit I am very tempted, my 15 year old daughter would love a beetle and a two year resto wouldnt be to hard on the wallet and she could have a tax exempt car when she passes her test,

lewis

must admit and I being slowly but surely drawn into the whole VW scene - spoke to a number of people all were good down to earth sorta people - there was a huge selection of stuff to view, inc trade stands, show n shine, for sale area and loads of other eye candy - oh and a few bits of totty too :
-)

yes nice bunch they were selling magic mushrooms at the last one I attended  :D been offered a 70 1300 that needs restoring and must admit I am very tempted, my 15 year old daughter would love a beetle and a two year resto wouldnt be to hard on the wallet and she could have a tax exempt car when she passes her test,

lewis

get it bought  :t-up:

dubfreze lives up to its name - loadsa campers

SANY2910.jpg

made up a bracket tonight for the brake cylinder resevoir - fits in nice n snug and has a bolt fitting to keep it in - may adjust the bracket slightly tomorrow to lift the cylinder up a bit as the pipes don't drop quite enough for my liking

SANY2911.jpg

SANY2912.jpg

SANY2915.jpg

got the fuel gauge and sender ordered yesterday from ETB so I will be in a position to order the fuel tank some time this week .... huzzah