Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

what the devil would anybody ever need a build manual for  :laugh:

with a little (umm I mean a lot) of help from a friend the body is now back on and the engine is also popped back on - one of the next jobs is to start setting the body right on the chassis - if you have been following the thead from the start you will know that one side fron sits very high, something that appears to be common on other GP replicas that I have spotted on the net

so engine was needed back in to get the wheels sitting right

SANY2880.jpg

next job is the fuel tank mounting - I have a plan hatched to use some 20mm box section to build a frame that the tank drops into - the whole framework willl sit behind the from axle beam to add a little extra protection (unlike the original one fitted that was mounted onto the bodywork  :suspect: ) with the brackets I have in mind that go onto the tank itself that job should look ok

SANY2879.jpg

ok on to the mounting for the fuel tank

SANY2882.jpg

so my old m8 Mr Box section pops his head up again to say hello - it's his slightly thinner couson this time - so first job make up sumtin to go around the tank - the fuel tank will sit on its brackets when dropped into the framework

the amount of room is very tight in the space provided wih such a low bodyline and all the steering track rods and the steering damper mounting protuding slightly

SANY2886.jpg

considering the old very heavy fuel tank was mounted onto the fibreglass bodywork at the front and was resting on a piece of pipe at the rear the new mouting method is a mega improvement - I also decided to keep the whole tank behind the front axle beam for a little bit of added safety

cover back in place to mark up the fuel pipe filler

SANY2888.jpg

I have now got a price back from a chap I met last year at a car show for the making up of the tank - I was pleasently surprised as he has quoted around the £100 mark, which is a heck of a lot less than I thought - this includes x 2 baffles, x 2 brackets on the side and a recess in the top plate so that a tube type sender unit can be fitted - RESULT

SANY2890.jpg

I shall wait until the fuel tank is made up before I do anything further with this bracket

next thing is to order up a sender unit so that I can send it away with the tank order

Just came in from a night of making wing stays first one was easy the hard bits getting the other to sit the same still not happy with it! didn't have my heater on tonight im b****y freezing! got one of them energy meter things last week  after seeing how much it uses decided to not have it on :bangshead: big mistake sod the electric bill in future you cant beat a nice warm garage  :D

You sure like your box section  :laugh:  assuming that was Trev who came back with a price you wont be disappointed, as you know hes a bit of a genius with the shiny stuff  :cool:

Once you've got the tank in get that horrid looking trim of the bonnet and measure up for a new one, ill  do a drawing and get you a new one laser cut and polish it for you  :t-up:

Hi Dave - get that heater on ya tight A***

Yup it was Trev that quoted, I am keeping it under me hat or everybody will want a piece of Trev  ;) I am looking forwards to seeing what he can do as if his car aint enough of a showcase  :cool:

when that horrible bit of trip is removed I was thinking about launching it with some explosives  :devil:

the offer of making one up m8 would be fantastic - icing on the cake  :love:

how's your cold, you made a full recovery?

tonight's little job was to finish off the final measurements for the fuel tank and remove that horrible bit of trim around the fuel filler - nothing surprises me with this car, I was sort of expecting it to be riveted, but the rivets were fake and it was just glued on, also the hole underneath the alloy piece was as rough a hole as you could expect - amazes me way you would cut a hole and not finish it off

blimey

SANY2893.jpg

cor blimey

SANY2894.jpg

that's a little better

SANY2895.jpg

fuel tank specification

Fueltankquote-1.jpg

I think the breather might be in the cap, but I will check it out

thanks  :t-up:

Cleggy

Have you tried google sketch yet?

Much quicker for dooing three dimentional drawings than powerpoint etc.

It's kind of a beginners autocad and really easy to use.

David

Thanks for the heads up

Downloading now  :t-up:

Looks like yer doing a thorough job there Monsieur Cleggster....

Congrats, you've motivated me to stop being a lazy B*st and go fix my leaking valley gasket.... :D

Keep it up, and don't forget the before and after pic's at the end of the thread....

ta Lippy

another micro update with a beer in hand ( a tiger this time) - I reminded myself again tonight that when things start to go wrong, put your tools down and start a fresh another night - my plan of a little and often seems to be doing me proud though, well most of the time

so tonights slightly too long a time in the garage sees the framework for the tank fully welded up and a small bracket added for the horn - I have also tweeked the fuel tank spec, adding a breather pipe and a few other details

After speaking to ETB instruments yesterday they have confirmed that I can use a VDO dip tube type sensor with one of their ETB gauges and that they have the correct length tube in stock (150mm) -

Cannot remember if I have mentioned why I am using a dip tube type sensor? - basicaly because it is a fairly small tank (5gallons) and to allow for two baffles there would not be enough room for a float/arm  type sensor - also float arm type sensor would obviousely not work on a foam filled tank should I decide to go that route

I also discussed with them about the speedo - I have opted for a mechanical speedo mainly because they are a b****y site cheaper and they are more in keeping with the vehicle - they have asked me for the circumference of the wheel, they said they could work from the tyre size but they suggested that they would rather me chalk mark a mark on the floor and wheel and then roll the car one complete wheel revolution and then measure the distance between the two - sounds simple enough - they also asked me to check the drive from the wheel is a one revolution of the wheel to one revolution of the cable - any of you guys know if this is the case to save me checking?

SANY2898.jpg

all finished up

SANY2900.jpg

back to the Tiger --- mmm nice

looks good that - must admit although I have downloaded it I have not tried it yet due to not bringing a mouse home for the laptop

easy to pickup?

I have also tweeked the fuel tank spec, adding a breather pipe

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Now then Cleggy, say: "thank you Mr Pistonbroke, sir!"

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D