Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Sure there's probably a reason for it, but how come the bracing is bart way along the beams? (Back when I had to study such things, my old lecturer used to say bracing wasn't bracing unless it met at the nodes)

Will that pass an mot like that cleggy! :laugh:

You could have at least used gaffer tape...............sorry it dont help does it :blush:

(Back when I had to study such things, my old lecturer used to say bracing wasn't bracing unless it met at the nodes)

I remember something along those lines as well.

What's the purpose of  the two that you are bracing? Do they support the body?

What I'm getting at is, do they really need all that bracing?

I reckon the two downward braces will look out of place, early porkers are all open right across the cabin under the dash.

Think Cleggy may have forgoten what he was building,  :p he may accidentally end up with...

97b2513a76480c77458af3ba62eed25cfd862d2c

:D  :D  :D

Sure there's probably a reason for it, but how come the bracing is bart way along the beams? (Back when I had to study such things, my old lecturer used to say bracing wasn't bracing unless it met at the nodes)

yeah you are right - should be to the joins, trouble is to allow me to do this it would mean cutting the lip off the tub - the tub takes all the weight of the bodywork so makes that out of the question unfortunately

you are saying it should look sumtin like this (on the sides too)

chassis.jpg

Sam - that supports are only there to support the column (there was nowt supporting it before) and to provide a little extra rigidity

with regards to the two braces that drop down to the tunnel - I was thinking about having an alloy plate there to mount certain switches, starter button etc, although this could easily be incorporated into the dash (I need to look at piccies of original Spyders and see what they had)

So I am with all your comments 100% - but need to work with what I have, unless anyone has a better idea of doing it without chopping the tub?

this bracing looks in the wrong place to my amateur viewing.

Surely the weak point is the bottom weld to the vertical on the two 'goal posts'

So I think the two outer braces need to be going down to the main chassis side rails not betwee the two 'goals'

I agree I would also move them to the corner nodes.

David

it's all gotten a bit smokey in the garage - spent most of the evening grinding, welding and generally peeing of the neighbours (well possibly)

SANY2828.jpg

removing lip of the chassis tube - next to grind off and weld

SANY2825.jpg

tricky welding up the older metal but it will do - really found that me 130 amp welder aint up to working at full wack for very long although it is doing the job ok

SANY2823.jpg

SANY2829.jpg

got some prices back from the sandblaster today

for the engine £95

for the chassis £295

for the chassis and inc weldable etch primer £395

All prices plus VAT

(what the devil is weldable etch although it sorta tells you in the name  :blush: )

So am gonna crack on and try to get the rest of the fabrication complete on this chassis maybe in a month or two it will be ready to get down to them

Those prices good value?

I also need to source some 3mm or so aluminium sheet to start making up some blanking plates for the engine - anybody got any knocking around they don't need - dont matter if its tatty as long as it is flat

thats all for tonight

vegetable rights for peas man!

Thanks Tony - might ask for a lift soon m8 if ya don't mind - need to see if this all fits before I go too far  :laugh:

managed to get a couple of hours today in the garage - bit more welding and grinding welds flat where the tub is gonna be sitting and tonight I have tacked in the strengthening of the foot well area

SANY2834.jpg

SANY2834.jpg

I have taken onboard your comments on the triangulation - more sort of doing it the way I knew it should be done, and will work around the problem it will cause with the tub - I have an idea to mount some plates at the sides of the foot well that will then be bolted to the tub - If I can get this right I can use this location method to set the tub correctly  :t-up:

My first job Monday morning, buy shares in: BOC, welding wire supplier & bulk steel supplier.  :D

building bridges I could do if things don't work out  :laugh:

The welding looks very neat-  but I don't really understand the purpose of that triangulated bracing.

Now my stress analysis these days is confined to working out when my next invoice will be paid, but a glance at the chassis did ring a few distant bells.

To my mind, the only effect of the bracing is to transfer any longitudinal loading at the top of one of the cross members pretty much straight to the second. In a practical example, if the car was involved in a head-on crash, any forces getting as far as the first 'bulkhead' would be sent straight back into the dashboard/ cockpit area. Deformation of that dashboard piece would also push the steering column assembly further into the cockpit.

Could you redesign that bracing so that the space between the two bulkheads would act as a deformation/energy absorbing zone?

That aside, you're doing an amazingly thorough job and I look forward to following its progress!

Brian