Cleggy's Spyder Rebuild 17 07 09

Cleggy the Spyder Man

looks nice that - yours?

culmination of a four year rebuild on a 68 912, problem was it was so nice I could not take it anywhere except to shows won a couple of concours with it but that scene is so anal. sold it and bought the Westy. It now resides in a collection in Belgum. More like you I enjoy the build. Dont over restore the spider, just enough to enjoy it. :)

lewis

think we are on the same wave length chap  :t-up:

would love to see some more pictures

think we are on the same wave length chap  :t-up:

would love to see some more pictures

Ditto!!

Buzz

328.jpg[

://344.jpg[/

//347.jpg

Have lots of photos but this will give an idea of what I started with, one lesson I learnt was to NEVER look at what you are spending, give all bills to the next owner and let him see  what a bargain he has just aquired, :D  :D

lewis

thats a bit special  :t-up:

and a virtual wreck to start with - amazing what you can achieve if you have the commitment

- amazing what you can achieve if you have the commitment

I think it is the sense of achievment more than commitment, always been good with my hands, education finished for me at 15 and the only level I have is a spirit level :p you will have the same feeling when you take the spider for its firs drive. :D

lewis

Lewis - lets hope so

I like to break it down into mini achievements - trouble is, as you know there is so much to do with these sorts of projects it sometimes seems like nothing actually gets finished  :suspect:

dragged the engine outside today after it has soaked in Gunk overnight - jet washed off and then blown off with air gun

thought it would be a good idea to turn the engine over just in case some water worked its way in - trouble is the stand is mounted up against the flywheel so it meant lifting it off - tis just about a one man job with breaking a sweat

engine on the floor, plugs out, a thimble full of oil or so down each barrel and stood the engine on each head to allow the oil to work its way around the pistons

not really happy with the way the engine has cleaned up so far so I am thinkng about maybe getting it blasted - just thinking about methods of stopping the s***e from getting in the engine

SANY2807.jpg

got the westy back at work today (enjoyed my little run out) so have the Spyder shashe  ;)  :laugh:  umm chassis back in the garage

mental note .. garage is F***** filthy .. tidy up

foot well framework rested in place, need to get some measurements from the back before tacking in place, then another similar piece of framework to go in 6-7" ahead, and then the steering column brackets can be fitted

SANY2808.jpg

not really happy with the way the engine has cleaned up so far so I am thinkng about maybe getting it blasted - just thinking about methods of stopping the s***e from getting in the

Cleggy they are such an easy engine to strip and you will have to strip it if you are going to blast it, or you could get it chemicaly cleaned. Best bet is to steam clean it, I took mine down to a local commercial vehicle cleaners cost me £20 and came up like new, HT paint on the barells and away you go.

lewis

lewis,

328.jpg[

://344.jpg[/

//347.jpg

Have lots of photos but this will give an idea of what I started with, one lesson I learnt was to NEVER look at what you are spending, give all bills to the next owner and let him see  what a bargain he has just aquired, :D  :D

lewis

Wow  :love:  :love:  What a great job & a fantastic looking car ,lewis.

Buzz

still thinking about the engine cleaning - was thinking about making up some blanking plates for all the holes and then getting it beed blasted

what you reckon?

made a good bit of progress tonight - first job was to tack in place the two bits of foot well framework - so it was measuring up and squaring up a plenty

SANY2814.jpg

SANY2815.jpg

next up was to fit steering column - took a bit of a guess as to where it needs to be (left to right) and have tried to line it up as close to the centre line of the seat and the pedals - could do with a trial fit of the body before I start welding up proper

SANY2818.jpg

SANY2817.jpg

next job I guess will be triangulating up that foot well area

Just bung some hardboard in there and paint it black  :t-up:

will look just fine and we wont tell anyone , honest  :)

yeah lets cover it in hard board  :laugh:

just noticed the bog rolls in the background in one of the pics!

S**T happens  :p  :p  :laugh:

cars looking great Cleggy.  :t-up:

S**T happens  :p  :p  :laugh:

cars looking great Cleggy.  :t-up:

thanks Stu -

been to the blasters today to get prices for getting the whole lot cleaned up and etched