Will it take the power?

B16CVH

Jenko,

I note you are getting 200 bhp from a 2.0 CVH, whats the secret!!!!

To date I am running a 1.9 american tall block taken out  to 1980cc

Bottom end lightened and balanced.

Early cylinder head with cross hatching which has got the largest inlet valves that fit, standard exhaust. Gas flowed and checked on flow bench, excellent results.

R1 carbs 40mm choke.

Purpose made exhaust manifold longer primaries westfield one to restrictrive.

210 deg cam with solid lightened lifters.

I am running an uprated distributor although this would make little difference on top end power. Have had is all set up on two rolling proads and can only get 178 bhp. I am told the limiting factor is the way the valve train works and head design ? The engine happy revs and puls to 8k max power at 6.5k.

What am I doing wrong

Wrong Rolling Road  ???  :devil:  :D  :p  ;)

I built a 1.6CVH for friend of mine last september, was running one of my heads, Newman cam with solid lifters, a 34 DMTR and that made 164BHP@ the fly! Would of thought the 1.9 would make closer to the 200 mark :)

Jenko,

Early cylinder head with cross hatching which has got the largest inlet valves that fit, standard exhaust. Gas flowed and checked on flow bench, excellent results.

R1 carbs 40mm choke.

I am running an uprated distributor although this would make little difference on top end power. Have had is all set up on two rolling proads and can only get 178 bhp. I am told the limiting factor is the way the valve train works and head design ? The engine happy revs and puls to 8k max power at 6.5k.

What am I doing wrong

Wrong Rolling Road  ???  :devil:  :D  :p  ;)

I built a 1.6CVH for friend of mine last september, was running one of my heads, Newman cam with solid lifters, a 34 DMTR and that made 164BHP@ the fly! Would of thought the 1.9 would make closer to the 200 mark :)

Hold on, did you say you have a 210 degree cam?? This could well be your problem, not enough duration. What cam are you using and is is running a vernier?

and a fair amount of torque(192ft/lb)

Jenko

Would that be a Typo    ???

192 seems alot    ???

Nope...... :D

PIC_0011.jpg

Jenko,

R1 carbs 40mm choke.

What am I doing wrong

I don't think you are doing anything wrong......178 aint bad at all.....My power figures are at the Flywheel by the way.

Im running 38mm Throttlebodies, and have had the head ported by a chap who knows his stuff(matched manifold).....A kent cvh27 cam and solid lifters......There is nothing wrong with the CVH head, they flow very well if ported correctly, Solid lifters and a good cam is a must, and this does need to be timed in.......

The standard Westfield manifold also seems ok, although I've done a bit of work on it to match the ports to the plate

Compression has been upped slightly (around 10.5)

I have spent a fair amount of time getting the mapping sorted, so it's now as good as I think it could ever be.....

Worth mentioning that the bottom end is a Ferriday 2ltr, so uses modified Zetec pistons...It really is a great bottom end but cost a fortune!.....

That said, I was suprised when I hit the 200bhp mark....But I think i've just hit the sweet spot with the way everything is now set up.......

Paul.

P.S.you say 210 duration cam....I assume you mean 310....in which case, this may be too much......I would target 600-6500rpm for peak power, so if your cam is set to run up to 8k, it's effectively wasted......I tried a few cams out, and really rate the CVH27 from Kent....It does have a high lift so may require cut outs in the pistons.