Widetrack

Jeff2

I am now the proud owner of some cardboard boxes that contain Rally Design widetrack parts and a quick rack.

I intend to fit them at the weekend, but need as much advice as possible before I do anything stupid :blush:

Any advice will help especially if it comes with pictures.

The two issues that concern me immediately are: the top wishbones are asymetrical, so which way round and how does the camber adjusters fit (I think this is obvious, but might as well check).

Many thanks

Jeff

Jeff

Bit of a side question, slightly off the topic, why did you choose the rally Design Kit over the others?

No axe to grind either way against one supplier or other, just looking at the trend of what people have been buying as wide track has been a popular upgrade this winter and it is something I wish to do to.

Originally was going to get mine done at Procomp - but that has not worked out at this time so just looking at what else is available

Bit of a side question, slightly off the topic, why did you choose the rally Design Kit over the others?

I chose Rally design because their price was good, no requirement to change the shocks, I could reuse my ARB and many other WSCC members have them and are pleased with them.

Have you got all the bushes to fit the bones?

The top wishbones angle to the rear of the car, like this:

167622d6.jpg

Thanks Leon

Yes, I've got all the necessary bushes, I bought them as part of RD wide track kit.

Looking at your picture, I assume the back of the car is the bottom of the picture.

Should I be fitting any washers behind the camber adjusters?

Any advice on fitting the steering rack?

No washers behind the camber adjusters. Might need to remove any excess powder coat inside the tube before you slide the gold adjuster through the wishbone. Might also need to remove excess powder coat before you push the polybushes in. I greased my polybushes before fitting.

13051.jpeg

You might need to open out some of the chassis mounts to fit the wishbones. I only had to do this with the bottom nearside mounts, as the rest fitted fine. You might also need to slightly shorten your outboard ARB drop link to make sure it clears the top wishbone.

Steering rack is just held on by 4 bolts/nuts. You'll need to split the track rod ends ball joints and screw these onto the new rack and disconnect the lower steering column by removing the bolt and sliding the whole column and steering wheel upwards so that the lower column slides off the splines. Then just refit the new rack with the existing rack mounts and bushes, which will need replacing if they are shot. If you have bought Rally Design alloy rack mounts as well, then these fit over the rack with nylon square spacers underneath (no bushes) before bolting it down with new longer (M8 x 35mm rather than the existing M8 x 25mm) bolts, since the alloy mounts are fatter. I had to file off a nobble on the rack so that the larger mount fitted properly. You'll have to make sure the rack is centred and then refit the steering column so that the steering wheel is straight and then wind the track rod ends and rack extensions on to get the right toe-in/out, or get the tracking set up properly. You might need to shorten the rack slightly to be able to get enough toe-in or shorten the rod ends (which I did - I cut off 1cm from each track rod end).

Originalgeezer, the RD widetrack is great value with all the polybushes, camber adjusters and rack extensions. The powder coating is way better than the rear Westfield wishbones I bought at the same time. You can also use your exisiting shocks which is one of the main reasons why people buy the RD widetrack.

Regards

Kev.

I have just fitted the RD kit as well, echo other comments good value..

Had to open up chassis mounts, and also cut 1cm off rack ends.. also had to cut drop links on ARB by 10mm so that it didnt foul..   other than that easy peasy...  I used a graphite spray on bushes before fitting... oh and remember new nyloc nuts when you refit everything..

I also fitted new springs at the same time, as I had chrome westfield ones that were too long...  but would recommend new spings in any case, they are not that expensive.

Best Regards

Craig

Jeff if you have any issues over the weekend give me a shout you have my mobi and I'm only 1/2 hour away but you shouldn't really they're pretty straight forward and as mentioned don't for get they are handed.

Buzz

why buy a kit that requires extra work removing powder coating, choping bits of bodywork, when there are cheaper kits that dont?

Interestingly the "benefit" of not having to change the dampers has a worrying aspect to the Rally Design kit. The bottom mount is one third of the way back along the lower wishbone towards the chassis. Which gives a very big bending moment on it when you look at all the forces involved.

So please check regularly that you are not bending the bottom wishbone. Probably OK for road use, but I know I have bent another manufacturers a few times, but this was track use.

why buy a kit that requires extra work removing powder coating, choping bits of bodywork, when there are cheaper kits that dont?

Give us some details then. Cheaper than £230 for wishbones, camber adjusters, rack extensions and polybushes? and while still being able to use your existing shocks, springs and ARBs?

To fit my RD widetrack 10 seconds with a bit a wet and dry and 5 mins to open out a wishbone mount were hardly much extra work. No need to hack body work or anything else with I fitted my wide track.

Any wishbone change will require the chassis mounts being opened up to some degree, and every widetrack kit has it pros an cons.. I didnt need any bodywork mods so not sure what your on about  :bangshead

The RD kits is very good value for money..

CJ

Thanks for some fantastic advice and pics guys :)  :)

Thanks for the offer of help Buzzi, if I get into trouble I'll give you a call.

Thanks again

Jeff

Any wishbone change will require the chassis mounts being opened up to some degree,

??? Mine didn't.

Have you got all the bushes to fit the bones?

The top wishbones angle to the rear of the car, like this:

167622d6.jpg

Looking at your picture, I assume the back of the car is the bottom of the picture.

Looking at the picture, I would say the back of the car is the TOP of the picture.

Westford