• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Adjusting cycle wings

Rory's Dad

I have fitted our old wheels (ET23 I believe) to our new car to replace the originals (ET35??).  Anyway the wings do not fit centrally over the wheels.

I gave them a bit of a heave and they now 'just' miss the outside edge of the tyres.  However I'd like to do the job properly and it seems best to pack the lower fixing to tilt the wing over.  The uprights are Cortina and the supports are Rally Design (I think) so are fixed via the bottom caliper bolt and to the top of the upright.  

If I get a longer bolt and pack it with a proper spacer (eg some ali bar say 4mm long with a hole through it rather than a pile of repair washers) do you think this would work and be safe??

Alternatively I could just try and bend it some more but it all seems rather rigid.

Thanks in anticipation  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

what size wheels are you running now compared to before ? if different you may need to replace your cycle wings, eg WF do cycle wings for 185 and 205 size tyres.

Jay

Wing stays are westfield ones.  U'd be very suprised to hear that westfield actually recommend bending the stay to make the wings fit, thats what i was instructed to do when I built the car.

So go on, be a man and give it a proper tug ;)

If I get a longer bolt and pack it with a proper spacer (eg some ali bar say 4mm long with a hole through it rather than a pile of repair washers) do you think this would work and be safe??

Alternatively I could just try and bend it some more but it all seems rather rigid.

Thanks in anticipation  :)  :)  :)

Rory's Dad

I did exactly that when I went from 7" rims to 6" rims, used a bit of ali tube as the spacer, worked a treat.

I think I still have the original email from Mark Walker at the factory stating that the stays have to be bent to accomodate different offsets.

I used to have a set of ET21's which sat right out on the edge but as they were only 185 tyres i didnt get any rubbing.