roll cage options

daveac

Deer too.

- That said, dear or horse to the windscreen of a tintop does badly too.

- Personaly im of the stance that less than a RAC style in still, but as a cage affects the access to the car and such like, for roads and trackdays, its upto the choice of the owner. Racing = Cage.

Daniel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tex

• daveac

• nikpro

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

Lots of good advice.  Thanks guys.  Will definitely be upgrading things - so much for my nice bit of chrome bling but that's a very small price to pay if it's as much use as a wet bog roll tube in a crash!  Still not sure if I want to go the whole hog with the cage.  I think the aesthetic and practicality issues (weather gear, getting in and out etc) may start to rival the "what-if" arguement with a full cage vs an RAC bar.  Thanks again,

Dave

Lots of discussions of what if,

As we treat the cars as one step safer than Motor Bikes , the under the lorry/horse argument if not irrelivant is not I think the most important, it is down to the individuals perception of acceptable risk.

The fact the standard bar does not do what is says in the tin is more of an issue, if you fit the standard bar expecting it to povide that roll over protection. An up grade to an RAC roll bar is a prudent decision. It does not effect the access to the car and (in my opinion gives it a more purposefull appearance).

It also sits higher which provides an important benefit when you are over 6' in a westfild the extra height is essential.

The question then if you consider roll over issues is 4 point harness over inertia 3 point belts & being thrown from the car or kept in the zone protected by the roll bar.

???

It also sits higher which provides an important benefit when you are over 6' in a westfild the extra height is essential.

Although a Westfield provided RAC bar is higher than standard single loop it is still insufficiently high enough for most folks over 5ft 7" especially when car is fitted with padded seats  :down:  :down:  :down:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :down:  :down:

does anyone else make a full roll cage that allows a bit more "in and out" access ...

I have looked at various pictures of the full cage and tbh it looks like it may be a bit tricky to get in and out of...

Anyone got a full cage fitted locally that I can come and try and get in and out of at some point?

:D In some ways I find it easier to get in the car with the cage fitted.

Its deff easier than with a hood, as you have something to grab onto ???

dave

does anyone else make a full roll cage that allows a bit more "in and out" access ...

I have looked at various pictures of the full cage and tbh it looks like it may be a bit tricky to get in and out of...

Anyone got a full cage fitted locally that I can come and try and get in and out of at some point?

the cage isnt that hard to get out of - i have had major back surgery and can manage it easily - if you were - *of the larger composition* it might be harder but the bars let you get hold of them to give good support. you can also use the cage to mount a roof box if your going touring long distance - seen that done and its not as bad as you think

i'm not 100% but can a screen be fitted with a cage? IE westfield screen and caged cage? roofs a no go because of the rear diagonals - but - you might be able to fit sort doors aas in caterhams design type - and a screen with half roof along with a cage - dunno if it fits inside (not using the westfield supposrts but a modded to suit support

I've got a useless roll-bar, which i was planning to upgrade to an RAC bar over the winter. Now I'm considering a full cage - even though I'm mostly just on the road.

£225 for an RAC bar

£875 for a cage

Both from Westfield, I think i'll pay £650 to increase my odds of survival (I've wasted a lot more than that on a lot less in the past!).

My main concern (as with many) is the ease (or lack there of) of getting in and out..

I'm also very keen to know if you can fit a std screen as well as a cage..(narrow body) ??

Yeah, i mean, basicaly.

- 'Road' bar with three point recoil = No Roll over protection.

- 'RAC' bar with fourpoint point harness = Some roll over protection.

- Cage with four or six point harness (seats dependant) = Good all over protection.

As stantman has highlighted, the only real issue for me is that at lot of people (not wrongly given the name) believe that they are suitably protected from a road-based rollover by the factory road bar and factroy three point recoil!

Daniel

It's easy to get in and out with a full cage on, you go through the top not the side. Right foot on the cage bar at the side, swing you left leg over the top and step on the centre tunnel, right leg over the top side bar and slip down into the seat. I'm 6'2" and 100kg and never had any problem.

Strip of duct tape on the part of the bar and tunnel you step on just to protect them. It is just a racecar so you might want something nicer for a road car.

Bit harder if you've managed to fit a hood admittedly.  :D

If I remember right we're supposed to be able to undo the belts and get out in 5 seconds in case of fire. If the car was on fire I'd be out in considerably less than 5 seconds, cork and bottle comes to mind.  :)

It's easy to get in and out with a full cage on, you go through the top not the side.

I perfer a more  'Dukes of Hazzard' Stylee, through the side!!

v=BP3iNJ7fAPY" target="_blank">See here!!

that link doesn't work ...shame I was curios