Legal front number plate

Cleggy the Spyder Man

mine fell off the other week... (no really) down the side of the passenger seat at the mo... ;)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timandchris

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Martin Keene

• combatsapph

My car came new from the factory with a stick on plate so assumed it was legal :D .

Keith

Ditto.

When mine was at Westfield being rebuilt they put a stick on plate on the nose cone...

...standard fonts etc. but no trouble during MOT or otherwise.  :cool:

Prior to the colour change I had hit the kerb a few time and was surprised that the plate had stayed on...

...then I took it off and realised it had been stuck on with some industrial strength "command strip" type stuff. Took me ages to clean that b****y stuff off!  :angry:  :p  :laugh:  :D

will the stick on ones ever come off again? I don't want to ruin my nose cone if the local constabulary tell me to remove it?

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

A long time ago I learnt a trick off a friend who works in the motor trade for removing unwanted decals from a car.

He said the best way to get them off cleanly was to heat them up with a standard hairdryer, that way they should peel of nice and easy without leaving any (or at least very little) adhesive.  :cool:

with regards to front or rear number plates that are stuck on

the sticker (by the book) has to be vertically straight and not on a curved surface - the MOT book quite clearly states it. if your gonna use a stick on one be careful - it can be illegal

also please be aware this is a public forum guys - admitting things can and i have seen personally problems arising from public forum postings.. be careful

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip about the hairdryer, and the other advice.

I have got the plate from craftyplates (ebay) - with standard font and reflective surface - they turned it around very quickly.

I have fitted now - pics on the blog.

I live miles from anywhere - on the black isle - so hopefully wont have any problems. Whilst there are no speedbumps the roads are very bumpy in places and covered in all sorts of farmyard stuff elsewhere - so I am sure that fitting one at the bottom of the nosecone would have only lasted a few weeks.

also please be aware this is a public forum guys - admitting things can and i have seen personally problems arising from public forum postings.. be careful

Indeed

Read some info on 'tinternet awhile ago where a Lad had been involved in an Accident and His postings on an owners forum had been introduced at court

Tread Careful...

had a stick on front plate for 16years never had a problem.

but noticed the other day on the vosa web site .

two new rules added to mot

check number plates and towbar, added. :bangshead:

mot due so will find out in next couple of weeks