Legal front number plate

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I've got a stick on one too.  No problems with the police or the MOT.

I even checked it with a member of the fuzz and his reply " well you're not taking the p**s and it is clearly within the spirit of the regulation if not exactly legal"

:0

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timandchris

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Martin Keene

• combatsapph

• 2 weeks later...
For awhile I was thinking this is a stupid and potentially dangerous regulation. I believe like motor bikes cars with a low profile front section ala Westfield, Caterham, Ariel Atom should be excempt. Anyone feel the same and interested in a 'Ban the front Plate' Campaign?? I think it's the sociably reponsible thing to do

It can't be good to have the highways littered with all these "regulation" plates that keep falling off  :devil:

I have a "really rather small" plate that never falls off - MOT chap is quite happy with it, and I've never been stopped.

I can't help thinking that one of Mickmade's carbon front splitters would be a sensible & responsible investment to make even more sure it doesn't fall off :) I'm sure that would help the "SWMBO" discussion - "I have to have one to keep the car legal"  :D

mine is on some plastic higes, strangely it folds up out of sight at about 40mph ???

cant understand why :D

Dave

• 4 months later...

will the stick on ones ever come off again? I don't want to ruin my nose cone if the local constabulary tell me to remove it?

Thanks

Tim

Yes tim, tey can come off. Just need to clean up the glue and polish. However if the car is a darker colour or red and the plate has been on for a while, the pigmant will of faded around teh plate, so teh space covered by the plate will stand out.

Cleggy, Piano hinge on the plate and on two supports to the body works a treat ;)

had varios stick on plates and never been questioned by the poilce.

Had my velcro one fall off and asked by the police to put it back on (sat by passanger seat), but that fact it was a tad small never bothered them.

now theres a good idea

My only worry with that if its need doing its party trick, your going have a fair bit of explaning going on as to why your number plate is mounted on piano hinge surely?

Got stopped by the Police last night (sounded "loud" apparently - heard me from four streets away).  Did the usual checks on the tyres etc - didn't even mention (or notice) I had no front number plate  :t-up:

i would be more than happy to knock up sticky plates for material costs for anyone who wants them..i used the MANDATORY DVLA legal font and spacing conform to group 2 specs shown here on page 2..dvla regulations..

you will have to stick it on though (hate doing that part)

the whole things a bit of a farce if you ask me when bikes dont need plates displayed on the front..

i have been ticketed when running small plates/font but never when the fonts are the correct size sticky or not..

now theres a good idea

My only worry with that if its need doing its party trick, your going have a fair bit of explaning going on as to why your number plate is mounted on piano hinge surely?

When I had a front plate It was mounted on hinges, (back in 2000 I think) the reason for the hinges is so it doesn't get knocked off every time you go over a speedhump, thats my story and I'm sticking to it  ;)

mine is on two small "L" shape brackets.......... BUT i have put my normal boring size front plate back on, got a pull last week {ok, was doing 65mph in a 40 zone }.... didnt get done ..... phew.... the the old bill looked around the car, normal chat and banted until they spotted my super tiny number plate.... they "recomended" I change it over as soon as I got home and if I was spotted again a} driving tooo fast and b} with the small plate on I ould deffo get some points...........

lesson learnt.......... drive fast BUT with a big number plate on......  hey ho....