Legal front number plate

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Hello peeps

My number plate fell off the front when I went for a blat yesterday... It was a non legal small plate held on by velcro ...

Anybody had problems with losing number plates held by velcro???

Luckily the previous owner had a proper size one he gave me so I have it ready to fit on..

A couple of questions ...

1. I was gonna go buy some plastic number plate bolts today, is this how most of you guys have yours fitted?

2. I have seen some motors that have the stick on number plates on the bonnet, are these road legal? They do look a lot better !

Cheers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timandchris

• Cleggy the Spyder Man

• Martin Keene

• combatsapph

My car came with a stick on plate (that actually read Q**WPG when i bought it rather than Q**WRG) which seams to be fairly common, although i believe technicaly non-legal.

To me it seams better that a sub-standardsize plate in terms of legality/readabilty/explanibitly.

Daniel

I have a full size plate as having a full size plate fall off by accident every time you leave home isn't illegal, where as a small plate is, even if it never falls off.  I usually pick my full size plate up every time it falls off and keep it tucked behind the passenger seat.

1. I was gonna go buy some plastic number plate bolts today, is this how most of you guys have yours fitted?

2. I have seen some motors that have the stick on number plates on the bonnet, are these road legal? They do look a lot better !

1.  I have full size plate and it held on with 2 plastic nut and bolts, even been walloped by a cone on a track day and never fell off

2. I think look like  :arse:    Personal opinion  :p

Thanks all ... I went to Halfords today, picked up some plastic bolts/nuts and have fitted the full size one ...

Think I might get some nicer looking plates when I get some cash ... ones with GB on etc

I have a full size plate as having a full size plate fall off by accident every time you leave home isn't illegal, where as a small plate is, even if it never falls off.  I usually pick my full size plate up every time it falls off and keep it tucked behind the passenger seat.

Spot on. I was told exactly the same by a reliable source...

Exactly the same as me.  Have two rivnuts at the bottom of the nose cone and drilled the plate to match.

No idea why it keeps falling off  ;)

i had a velcroed on full size plate and it fell off....  so i have had a stick on vinyl one!

i'm not trying to disguse the reg, it's not a funny font, not a funny size, i'm not trying to make a 13 become a B (8 months and nothing.... passed many cop cars)

:)

cheers

John

The reason you, and a lot of other people, are getting away with stick on plates, is 99% of cops don't know they do not comply with the letter of the law, and as they can still be read by a speed camera, they don't care...