Which way does the oil go?

Welly Jen

OK, silly question time. Can someone confirm if the oil on a Pinto engine comes from the oil pump, through the central hole in to the oil filter, then out round the perimeter of the filter? Does this mean that with a sandwich plate between the engine and the filter that the oil going to an oil cooler is filtered? I'm pretty sure that this is the case, but just want to be sure.

The reason is that I am going to plumb in an Accusump gadget and I want the "T" in to the cooler pipe to be close to where the oil goes back in to the engine and off to the oil galleries.

Thanks

Jen  :)

I think it's the other way round. Oil flows into the filter through the outer holes, and exits through the centre. I have an accusump on my car, no cooler though. I think you may need to plumb a non return valve in somewhere?

Can anyone else confirm this?   :t-up:

Out to In. Eg In through the holes out via the centre spindle. The rubber gasket is the non-return valve for the filter  if it flowed the other way you would not have any oil pressure.

The rubber gasket is the non-return valve for the filter  if it flowed the other way you would not have any oil pressure.

You would have lots in the filter :D  :p

Thanks for the correction guys. Will plumb it in to the appropriate side and see about getting in a one way valve. Was going to be fitted this weekend just gone, but other things got in the way.

Jenny