SVA guidance

daveac

Hi,

I'm just tidying up my handbrake cable and, although I've sheathed it in convoluted tube and added extra tie-wrap bases I'm still not sure if it would satisfy the SVA man.  The reason being that on the left, it just contacts the front of the diff case as it leaves the tunnel.  Is this acceptable as it is sheathed?

Is there an online version of the SVA manual that I can check things like this in future too?

Thanks

Dave

If anyone knows the quick answer to the handbrake question - greatly appreciated.  

Meanwhile, to answer my own question, I have found a rare working link to the SVA manual and also the IVA draft here:

manuals

Cheers,

Dave

for my retest i had to put garden hose pipe over the cable just to stop chaffing, suggsted by the tester....

i also had to route the handbrake cable so it wasn't rubbing on the brake lines.... ( i did it wrong).

cheers

JOhn

Very useful reading this. I'm just installing the SVA kit and readying the car for the test. I'll now cover my handbrake cables in conduit.

I've read a number of posts on SVA tips but hadn't found that one!. Are there anymore funnies like this I should be aware of.

regards

Ken.

I got caught out on the following

1) basically the hand brake is fully applied but at the hub the brake is touching - resloution realse hand brake, pump brakes, reattach hand brake.

2) the exhaust heat shield radius was to tight -relsoution got some motorbike windscreen trim from halfords.

3) check you bolts are tight - they didn't torque mesure them but the do inspect that they are tight.

4) take cable ties with you they might let you fixit whilst you are there.

5) also failed on the windscreen pillars; filled them with air dry clay and covered in vinyl to keep tester happy.

6) radius on the light(?) switch is sharper tuch them you'll see... move this one close to the steering wheel... it's an exempt area!

Tips

take a tool kit with you.

the sva guy is always right, be nice he might be your retester!!!

take the suspension spanner with you my car was too low, to ge on the brake machine.

Cheers

John

Your better of shielding this with rubber fuel pipe sliced down the lengh and secured with cable ties this is what I did twice and passed.