karts

JeffC

Tkm do 100cc 2stroke or 200cc 4stroke I beleive.

Reliability was never an issue if looked after

Junior classes used to have clutches as mandatory .

older 100cc engines ( 7years or so ) were not adaptable .

running costs depend on how much you really want it , but rebuilds were about 8-10 hours running time .

Much good info here

HTH

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

a tkm can be changed from clutch to direct drive but needs a different crank or crank half . the senior tkm,s are mostly 115cc,s called extreme this is achieved by an increase in bore size .these engines are not sealed and can be rebuilt by any body and are classed as a econmy class and run on quite hard tyres . i sed to race 100b and then rotax max and the tkm was always the cheapest to race at msa level

thanks for that.. will keep researching , stupid thing with the tkm is that they are much cheaper than a cadet kart a lot more bang for your buck. suppose the reverse side of that is the running costs..

can any one enlighten me on what sort of costs are involved and what needs changing on the engines when they rebuild them? if they are running restrictors surely they will last more than 10 hours if looked after  ???  ???

the boys cadet now on ebay  in time for :xmas:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....4985760

Jeff you only have 2 real choices for the young fella , tkm or rotax max , and being fair do you want to get into rotax max budgets (if he proves quick you'll really start spending)

Tkm is a good alternate route and well followed throughout the uk as it is on the cheaper side , but things like rebuilds at 10 hours are for the best if he wants to stay competitive , but then 10 hours may be a season of club racing .

Rebuild will piston , hone , little end bearing .bottom end bearing and washers .... i ccan rebuild em ,but a good engine builder will do the same and make them quicker.

well bit of a change of heart  :suspect:  :suspect:  :bangshead:  :D

Im going to sell the cadet and keep the Tonikart with the world formula on and adapt it so the kids can share it, that way they can come out and race against us and each other in practise and I will weight Dan right up (5 1/2 stone  :oops:  :0 ) and he can race with us in the world formula/prokarts.   :t-up:  :t-up:

Im going to sell the cadet and keep the Tonikart with the world formula on and adapt it so the kids can share it, that way they can come out and race against us and each other in practise and I will weight Dan right up (5 1/2 stone  :oops:  :0 ) and he can race with us in the world formula/prokarts.   :t-up:  :t-up:

You are a cruel father!!!! :p

Well I got to say thanks to Jeff for the run out in the kart on sunday! Its dam good fun and addictive! Might have to come and join you guys sometime soon :p

Well I got to say thanks to Jeff for the run out in the kart on sunday! Its dam good fun and addictive! Might have to come and join you guys sometime soon :p

Haway brother luke, if you get a kart, Dan will have someone to battle with and I'll have something to aim for!

Oh yes, and if you do go karting, let me know what your wearing so we dont clash! :D  :laugh:  :p

Pssst, wanna buy a cow?  ;)  :oops:  ;)  :oops:  :D

funny you should say that but the kids thought Luke was you at Tinside and Mrs Log asked him if he was your brother at the xmas doo  :laugh:

you really need to track down Senior Algars movements down to see if he was ever playing away in a fishing town or if the Captain was up there way  :oops:  :D  :D

funny you should say that but the kids thought Luke was you at Tinside and Mrs Log asked him if he was your brother at the xmas doo  :laugh:

you really need to track down Senior Algars movements down to see if he was ever playing away in a fishing town or if the Captain was up there way  :oops:  :D  :D

Oi, Summerville! let ma' boy be!  :laugh:

so does that mean Ryan won't be able to race as all his age /weight group will be in cadets  ???

Btw the ribs have stopped hurting as much so I reckon the new year will see me back in action  :t-up: