• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

Harv IMHO, karting can be made so complicated it interferes with what you do in the pits and on the track. At their level, they need quick simple basic (rule of thumb) advice so they can get good performance whilst enjoying it. If, however, one of the NE boys becomes the next Lewis Hamilton :p  then he or she would clearly benefit from loads of fairy liquid.

Are all their chassis straight and true, using new tyres, geared correctly and have a proper burning engine ???

:p  ;)

ian i am well aware they are just doing it for fun , and jeff and pete know there's some leg pulling , but there are things that can happen to make something handle awfully and make them not fun at all .

and your right bob ,its change things and see what difference it makes , there is alot to getting it right and you'll find getting a base setting to work with a good start ....

i wasn't suggesting that anyone changed axles i was just pulling jeff's leg .... you know how far he'll go .

at the leveli race at engines are changing hands for silly money cause a quick one is worth more than just 10th's ..... mine does not even stay in the garage cause its a good one and if it was to go walkines it couldn't be replaced.

one thing I did notice yesterday was the transformation in Bobs kart with fresh rubber fitted  :oops:  

I put brand new tyres on 5 weeks ago or so replacing a 3 year old set of vega s with the bridgestones we have to use and my kart went quicker straight away difference in grip was night and day , with more tracktime in the seat  Im now lapping even quicker than that despite it being much colder, and cant help thinking my tyres with me and my boy sharing the kart it gets an awful lot of time on circuit  a new set of skids may be the way forward to get a chunk of time off  :oops:  :suspect:  :suspect:

1 race meeting , 1 5 lap practice , 3 10 lap heats , 15 lap final ..... enough loss of time that you can't consider not using a fresh set next meeting , the used ones will do saturday practice and then bin.

90 laps and i wouldn't bother with them , thats how quick they are shot , bolt a new set on and change the setup to suit and more time will come ...

a quick calculation would show my kart was on track yesterday for 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon so thats 3 hours yesterday and easily the same over the last 5 weeks... so current tyres have done around 15hours of track use  so that must be thick end of 1000 laps , they may be past there best  :oops:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :durr:  :durr:

Harvey, I wasn't have a dig mate ;) in fact you know that I know what you write is correct ;)

All the front runners in any form of karting have treated special legal engines ;) new chassis periodically and put a new set of tyres on per meeting, suppose same as any top level motorpsort :t-up: Tyres is and will always be a significant factor in finding those extra 10ths!

a quick calculation would show my kart was on track yesterday for 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon so thats 3 hours yesterday and easily the same over the last 5 weeks... so current tyres have done around 15hours of track use  so that must be thick end of 1000 laps , they may be past there best  :oops:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :durr:  :durr:

I think if we were going to it all properley, we all need to buy new tyre's at the same time. Although thinking about it, pretty much all our tyre's have done the same amount of events.

The birel has a 40mm axle and the scrapper has a 50mm.

I think if we were going to it all properley, we all need to buy new tyre's at the same time. Although thinking about it, pretty much all our tyre's have done the same amount of events.

with this in mind Lil Mark should be the Daddy next Sunday  :oops:

with this in mind Lil Mark should be the Daddy next Sunday  :oops:

I'm buying a set of those tyre's to stick on the scrapheap, if that scrapper gives the birel a lesson they're coming off!!! :D

Harvey, I wasn't have a dig mate ;) in fact you know that I know what you write is correct ;)

All the front runners in any form of karting have treated special legal engines ;) new chassis periodically and put a new set of tyres on per meeting, suppose same as any top level motorpsort :t-up: Tyres is and will always be a significant factor in finding those extra 10ths!

more than 10th in tyres ..... half a second to a second , so with jeffs at a 100 od laps he'll find loads .

finding a fst max engine is like rocking horse poo iain , thats why i was after a second hand one as we were looking for the older barel , now have an 06 bottom end with an 04 barrel , a good max is 26bhp+ , a very good one 29 to 30 , ours went back on the dyno after the last event ,and had made 1.5bhp more than its very good which we won't disclose and an imediate offer by our engine builder was made to buy it , .... hence its very very carefully stored .

just need to put it right at the front in some masters events ,and carry on losing weight.