• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

Best get ready to take on some more ballast gents. Gonna start putting some funds together for a kart. Its a good few weeks away yet. Off to sell the anything that isn't bolted down on ebay  :p

HGV karting!  :laugh:    If we put any more weight in our kart, I WILL injure myself lifting it off the trailer!  :(

easy to sort that one Captain, you need to stop feeding Young Pierre food from the sea, fish fingers and smiley faces or  turkey dinasouars and alphabet spaghetti every night are not gonna increase his waist line get him onto some good old Pies and mash  ;)

Carbs are the answer  ;)  :D

Is it frightening that were about to sit down to pie and mash! :suspect:  ???

good man extra Lard for the Pilot  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

good man extra Lard for the Pilot  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Wasn't mash, how wrong I was, was pie and chips actually with two petis flous for dessert. :D

I think after reading this thread I may be looking at getting a kart and kit early next year.  Just got to work out where i can take it in the midlands for open events.

Should be cheap motorsport.

:)

looks like I need a new throttle cable ,questions

1. can I buy a cable for a world formula kart  ???

2. should I take old one off and just get a one the same length and same end

BTW sorry to ask a kart related problem on this thread  :devil:  ;)

WHY, I thought we were trying to get this thread longer than the 3 word one :D:D:D

Least that's what Jeff said  :devil:  :devil:

looks like I need a new throttle cable ,questions

1. can I buy a cable for a world formula kart  ???

2. should I take old one off and just get a one the same length and same end

think you will have to get a proper one as the carb end has a t*t on the cable end to hold it iin the carb  :suspect: Try Bob at Prosport at Sunderland, pretty sure he will have them, they have an ebay shop too  :t-up:

can you not just adjust yours  ???  ???

would be interested in an explanation of the 3 wheeld cornering technique and how it helps you to corner quicker , noticed a couple with the front wheel in the air but not the rear, with all the weight on the right hand side reckon I would need a ramp to get it elevated on mine  :blush:  ???   :suspect:  :suspect:  :durr:

Jeff,

I think the basic principle is that due to the axle being solid not like a car with a differential. When cornering in a car the differential allows for the diffrent wheels speed as the inner wheel has less distance to travel than te outer. In a kart it is the same the inner wheels needs to rotate slower than the outer however this is not possible with a solid axale and thus bogs the kart down. There if the karts lifts its inside wheel it can rotate the same speed as the outer and not bog the kart down.

Ross

Spot on Ross.

But also, by lifting the inside rear wheel not only keeps the RPM up it stops the rear axle driving the kart off in a straight line, thus reduces understeer significantly.

Jeff, ignore the ones that are lifting their inside front :laugh:  Thats going a bit too far and are obviously doing something wrong :laugh:  :p  ;)

Conibear,

How do you know when driving the kart if you are lifting the inside wheel? :durr:

Ross

Mark, if your heading up sunderland for a cable, could you do me a favour and get me a new chain if they have one around 114-124 links. They're a birel dealer so should do.

yip no probs Pete, I'm going to pop up tomorrow been on the phone to them and a new cable is £5

I'm sure they will have a chain in stock

anyone else need owt while I'm there  ???

would be interested in an explanation of the 3 wheeld cornering technique and how it helps you to corner quicker , noticed a couple with the front wheel in the air but not the rear, with all the weight on the right hand side reckon I would need a ramp to get it elevated on mine  :blush:  ???   :suspect:  :suspect:  :durr:

Jeff,

I think the basic principle is that due to the axle being solid not like a car with a differential. When cornering in a car the differential allows for the diffrent wheels speed as the inner wheel has less distance to travel than te outer. In a kart it is the same the inner wheels needs to rotate slower than the outer however this is not possible with a solid axale and thus bogs the kart down. There if the karts lifts its inside wheel it can rotate the same speed as the outer and not bog the kart down.

Ross

Spot on Ross.

But also, by lifting the inside rear wheel not only keeps the RPM up it stops the rear axle driving the kart off in a straight line, thus reduces understeer significantly.

Jeff, ignore the ones that are lifting their inside front :laugh:  Thats going a bit too far and are obviously doing something wrong :laugh:  :p  ;)

Conibear,

How do you know when driving the kart if you are lifting the inside wheel? :durr:

Ross

err thats the job of your race engineer ....

basically you need to understand what the caster does etc what stiffening side pod bars bumpers etc do , and the various adjustable bars the chassis has .

Also front and rear track width adjustment ride heights increasing the ackerman angle before starting to think about body weight etc

oh and tyre pressures which we vary anything from 8psi to 20 depending on track temps etc etc .

setting up a kart chassis correctly is a very very black art and when they are right its awsome and the stopwatch shows it .

buy one of the books to get a basic understanding or download the arrow karts owners manual , that will give you an understanding of how chassis behave relative to what changes to make

Oh and jeff most karts run possitive camber on the front .... belive it or not .

think we had 2mm positive last weekend