reduce rear grip ........

tyre preassure up

rear track out

remove seat stays

rear bar out

ride height down

front hubs in

or just use really shagged tyres?

oh punctures ... yeah they do it as well , so also tyre preasures down .... lots .

oh and axel ?

soft less grip , hard more grip .

Harv, I agree with some of your reduce grip list, but tyre pressures which are wrong either side of ideal 'on the day' will reduce grip. Also, rear bar out can increase grip in general, depends on conditions. But I cannot see how front hubs in is going to make the rear loose in either the wet or dry ??? Unless your talking extremes or altering castor ???

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

oh and while on a tyre pressure subject ive heard of racers changing  2psi and finding time  ???  ???

my boy went out with a flat left front tyre 0 psi in it and set one of the quickest times out of all of us including himself of the day, I blew it up to 20psi and he went no fookin quicker, so how the fook can that be explained then  :durr:  :durr:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I have never heard a proper karter reshaping bent hollow axles and reusing. In fact a proper kart possibly changes his chassis twice a season, as the constant flexing reduces performance ;)

Two of my mates are really quick lads, one has beaten the British Champion and the Scottish Champion in the same  MSA race in the Lakes back end of last, look up his name, Ben Dickson, he won the Biland series at Warden Law. One of the boys he runs with changed his Tony Kart (rotax) chasis 7 times last season.

Ben Dickson has also "used" straightened axles.

Did he use a straightened axle when he beat the British and Scottish Champion?

Not saying he can't use straightened axles Bob, but if Ben is that good why is he worried about the cost of new axles ???

No, I'm not saying he would "run" a straightened axle but they have them as spares, they do not heve a big budget but beleive me, they are very good, it's one of those " if you have it use it" things and I suppose it works.I only have used spares package when I go rallying as I have not got the "team" budget but I have won two Tarmac Chapionships, one of which was the National, just by being able to keep going.

First to win you have to finish.

You are right in what you say, no question, it is just a budget thing I suppose.

loads of front end will loosen the back , but like i said for every statement i made i can give a situation where it won't ....

thats the whole thing ,if you could read a setup guide and go fast everybody would be lapping withing 10ths ..... oh hang on , today they were and it was carnage .......

i understand the theory and practice well , nowadays i come in give feedback and then my mechanic tells me what hes done or if its and and or we discuss it .

its never clear cut , and driving styles also affect so much.

oh and while on a tyre pressure subject ive heard of racers changing  2psi and finding time  ???  ???

my boy went out with a flat left front tyre 0 psi in it and set one of the quickest times out of all of us including himself of the day, I blew it up to 20psi and he went no fookin quicker, so how the fook can that be explained then  :durr:  :durr:  :suspect:  :suspect:  :laugh:  :laugh:

his fast time wasn't fast in the relm of a quick driver .....

i can look at my lap by lap data and tell you exactly on each race i started to deflate a tyre today ....and i bet you'd spot it too

and yes 2psi in certain conditions is huge .... like in the summer when we are running 8psi ?

your right its a budget thing and im sick of spending cash  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

wonder what the chances of the log wittling me down  a 50mm axle from a length of 4x3 is  :oops:  :p

i ran higher preasures today ..... to get heat .... this should reduce grip but didn't , but usually more grip with lower pressures ,....

Harv, I have spannered my sons kart for a long time and one thing is for sure there is NO correct tyre pressure and I would of never stated higher pressure gives less grip.

Compounds, weight, driver being able to scrub a tyre is a big issue here ;)

Could you explain why a flexing rear end will offer less grip :0

I have never heard a proper karter reshaping bent hollow axles and reusing. In fact a proper kart possibly changes his chassis twice a season, as the constant flexing reduces performance <!--emo&;)

Two of my mates are really quick lads, one has beaten the British Champion and the Scottish Champion in the same  MSA race in the Lakes back end of last, look up his name, Ben Dickson, he won the Biland series at Warden Law. One of the boys he runs with changed his Tony Kart (rotax) chasis 7 times last season.

Ben Dickson has also "used" straightened axles.

Did he use a straightened axle when he beat the British and Scottish Champion?

Not saying he can't use straightened axles Bob, but if Ben is that good why is he worried about the cost of new axles ???

No, I'm not saying he would "run" a straightened axle but they have them as spares, they do not heve a big budget but beleive me, they are very good, it's one of those " if you have it use it" things and I suppose it works.I only have used spares package when I go rallying as I have not got the "team" budget but I have won two Tarmac Chapionships, one of which was the National, just by being able to keep going.

First to win you have to finish.

You are right in what you say, no question, it is just a budget thing I suppose.

bob we have second hand bits for that odd ocation when its a race or dns ....

however , from choice whith the way kart componets affect thengs then you want the best chance , cause on the day you might be looking at 3 10ths from 1st to 10th.

pretty sure Petes and the boys laps times are quick even in terms of Msa meetings /lap records  :suspect:  :suspect:

wonder what the chances of the log wittling me down  a 50mm axle from a length of 4x3 is  :oops:  :p

No prob but it will be as sad as your's and my budget put togeather :laugh:  :laugh:

Fun Fun Fun, thats what it's all about for us :D

pretty sure Petes and the boys laps times are quick even in terms of Msa meetings /lap records  :suspect:  :suspect:

honest jeff 0 psi is flat ...and flat becomes square at the bottom ...

i ran higher preasures today ..... to get heat .... this should reduce grip but didn't , but usually more grip with lower pressures ,....

Harv, I have spannered my sons kart for a long time and one thing is for sure there is NO correct tyre pressure and I would of never stated higher pressure gives less grip.

Compounds, weight, driver being able to scrub a tyre is a big issue here ;)

Could you explain why a flexing rear end will offer less grip :0

which axel offers more grip ?

hard or soft ?

thats a pointer , raising pressures will reduce grip ,but it depends as you say on compound ....

it can also reduce it .... depends on the track , how rubbered up it is ... etc etc etc ... as you say its never the same and the same answer never applies really.

bob we have second hand bits for that odd ocation when its a race or dns ....

however , from choice whith the way kart componets affect thengs then you want the best chance , cause on the day you might be looking at 3 10ths from 1st to 10th.

If I was to spend as much on karting as I did on rallying, I could have a van full of new engines and spares :blush:  :blush:  Been there done that as they say, spent  well into six figures for a few trophies, name in Motoring News and local press etc, was it worth it, your damn right it was, would I do it agian, would have to think really hard, WILL I do it karting, NO CHANCE. All of your coments are well taken, educational and received but at the end of the day we do not have Ron Dennis asking our names.

I'll try and mention Dans name to him next time I see him in the pub :D  :D

Would have been if we were on the right tyre's! :bangshead:

Been watching some footage back, my kart doesn't look 'that' bad actually, 49.6 was maybe just the best I was gonna get today possibly. :suspect:

Got some footage of you jefferey and agree, your problems are far worse than mine! :down:  :(

Hopefully your on the money with the axle business although the cap said your kart felt good. Got sot some nice footage of ben on the rear view camera! He was flying, also bob in jeffs kart chasing the cap, that looks good, will have a go at it tomorrow. :t-up:

No footage of me defending dan the man!!! That would have been a great video as well! :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

honest jeff 0 psi is flat ...and flat becomes square at the bottom ...

:D  :D  no it wasnt square on the rim but didnt register on the pressure gauge , it was flat enough for me to notice as he drove out the pits and shout him back in time he took any notice of me he had done a few laps on said tyre  :mad:  :mad:  air was leaking from the alen stud that holds the tyre bead on  :arse: had to wrap ptfe tape round it to seal it, alarmingly  he had allready done 2 sessions on it and was pretty consistant on it  :0  :0  :0