karts

JeffC

I hope your not really gunner straighten the rear axle :bangshead:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: Who does that then Paul Daniels ???  :p

You can straighten a solid axle but not a hollow one ;) Anyone tells you different he's talking  :arse:

Well  we have just bought some some goodies from a very competetive racer and he has had several axles done as has half of the field at Warden Law and they have never had a problem.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JeffC

• Pilot Pete

• slippy

• boblog

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bridgestone tyre sticky guide

Posted by 'rjbcar27' on 20 Sep 2007 @ 16:35

I forgot the YGR wet which goes between YEJ and YDK and I forgot the YJC slick which goes in between YJB and YJB, so here goes again:

Slicks:

YGB

YJB

YJC

YJL

YDS

Wets:

YEJ

YGR

YDK

you can straighten a hollow axle  :p seen it done .... would i .... if there was no other choice yep .... seen it done with a rotating axle and a mallet .... and yes i was sceptical till i saw it run virtually dead true .... but then that would have been scrapped and replaced after the meeting.

In other news ......... this karting lark is crap .... had a worse day than my worse day ever .

after yesterdays straightening antics we are ready for today ,fresh rubber fitted and happy with the engine and set up .....

go to look at the grids and its heat 1 pole .... b*****k ,always want heat 1 on a cold day with no grip to be someone elses nightmare , however today it was mine .... great start with a little punt into the first corner and we stretched out the lead to over a quater lap and  stretching , then it all went wrong ..... i was being realed in ... could not work out why the pace was dropping off , then all became obvious as braking for the hairpin it pulled heavily left ......... puncture .....

thought it was a bead retainer  sorted it , dipped it under water no leaks

heat 2 off 12th ... fought hard , up to 7th and 2 laps from the end , puncture again .... b*****k

heat 3 start 7th go for it ,and fight hard to finish 4th ......

final , 11th on the grid , nightmare of bumping and barging in the first corner but thats midfiels in a final for you , first harpin hussled down the inside , took 3 , 4th guy taps me but i get out the corner ahead , turn into the next right hairpun , massive understeer , .......... limp back to pits with less than a lap done , valve ripped out flat front ..... what a b****y day :(

A hollow axle which has been bent from it's original manufacture cannot possibily perform as good as it's original design. When it bends the material heats and contracts, to reshape you need to reheat and contract the material again, thus making the material brittle. Ultimately, the reshaped axle will be weaker and prone to flex in that reshaped area.

I have never heard a proper karter reshaping bent hollow axles and reusing. In fact a proper kart possibly changes his chassis twice a season, as the constant flexing reduces performance ;)

Well I guess thats why the times are quick as the proper YJL is way down the grip lst but way up the wear list ???  ???

Aye, would explain a lot. The thing wouldn't move, I was going through the chicane practically flat out and just flooring it out the corners, was awesome to drive!!!

I still might buy some extended hubs, will be better for the wet.

Bob, if your building a pro-kart make sure it looks as good as this one:

9-3.jpg

:love:  :love:  :love:

A hollow axle which has been bent from it's original manufacture cannot possibily perform as good as it's original design. When it bends the material heats and contracts, to reshape you need to reheat and contract the material again, thus making the material brittle. Ultimately, the reshaped axle will be weaker and prone to flex in that reshaped area.

I have never heard a proper karter reshaping bent hollow axles and reusing. In fact a proper kart possibly changes his chassis twice a season, as the constant flexing reduces performance ;)

i know of an axle straightening service as well .....  but i would never use it .... mine on the kart has a slight tweak in it ,and will be replaced with the new one thats now in the workshop ,along with a new disc , pads etc etc .... then there is the secon bent steering coum ,and the 2 straightened from bent stub axles to replace ..... 177 rotax , makes btcc look tame i tell ya. :D

Well I guess thats why the times are quick as the proper YJL is way down the grip lst but way up the wear list ???  ???

Aye, would explain a lot. The thing wouldn't move, I was going through the chicane practically flat out and just flooring it out the corners, was awesome to drive!!!

I still might buy some extended hubs, will be better for the wet.

Bob, if your building a pro-kart make sure it looks as good as this one:

9-3.jpg

:love:  :love:  :love:

if "bob the builder " is building it , it will look more like the cow but made with wooden side pods  :oops:  :laugh:  :devil:

Of course it is possible to straighten a hollow axle, but as Harv state only to get you out of trouble.

Harv, I bet you would'nt entertain a reshaped axle surely :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Solid axle's are different, bigger mass and can easily be straightened under a press

Gosh, this thread is entertaining :p

i know of an axle straightening service as well .....  but i would never use it .... mine on the kart has a slight tweak in it ,and will be replaced with the new one thats now in the workshop ,along with a new disc , pads etc etc .... then there is the secon bent steering coum ,and the 2 straightened from bent stub axles to replace ..... 177 rotax , makes btcc look tame i tell ya. :D

Harv, I know of a chap that straightens chassis's even from new, he does mine, i'm sure you know him ;)

His son is successful in senior TKM

He would P**s himself over this :laugh:

still has far too much grip at the rear widening the rears helps but not enuf  

Widening the rear will only give you more rear end grip.

To get rid of your karts understeer, you need to widen the front and narrow the rears in. I'm sure I've told you this before ???

Ian are you defo  saying on your kart to reduce rear grip you would move the wheels in then  ???  ???

your right .... whats the point , fit a new one , but then if its only for fun then i guess a straightened one is going be ok , i wouldn't run one ......

but then i have run a bent axle for the last meeting ... but then when i way bent , its only slightly tweaked .....

proper bent ones are a bit funky to try ad drive with

but then i also use fresh rubber every meeting ?

and they are trying to work out why times keep going all over the shop with rubber thats not fresh to strt with and then quite alot of laps old .....

it only ever gets slower ,and past 100 laps its only fit for filling with concrete and using as an awning weight.

your right .... whats the point , fit a new one , but then if its only for fun then i guess a straightened one is going be ok , i wouldn't run one ......

but then i have run a bent axle for the last meeting ... but then when i way bent , its only slightly tweaked .....

proper bent ones are a bit funky to try ad drive with

but then i also use fresh rubber every meeting ?

and they are trying to work out why times keep going all over the shop with rubber thats not fresh to strt with and then quite alot of laps old .....

it only ever gets slower ,and past 100 laps its only fit for filling with concrete and using as an awning weight.

Howay then Harv, which way from a medium axle to reduce rear grip, soft or hard  :suspect:  :suspect:  :suspect: