Crashed Westy wanted - or all parts!

HULLB

Just picked up my SDV starter kit (Mazda based) and given the quite high cost of completion kits thought it never to early to start looking for genuine used westy parts. Would be very interested in buying a crashed wide bodied westy to use as a donor, or interested to hear from anyone with major parts such as shocks, fuel tank, windscreens, seats, steering rack, exhausts  etc. (I realise the used parts for sale section is very good - before some helpful person points that out to this rooky!). Thanks, Brian.

Shouldn't this be in the wanted section`???

I could have a set of Westfield supplied Spax shocks for sale if you are interested. They have done 12,000 miles and working fine (no bounce on rebound). Due to age they are not the best looking but if you are looking to save money let me know. From a factory built Zetec engined Westy.

Steering wheel might also help you... My Ebay Listings

You might have some problems if you try to fit a standard Westfield (Mountney) steering wheel to a Mazda kit.  The Westfield wheel has it's fixings on a 101mm PCD and is designed for a mountney classic boss kit.  Whist these are available for the standard Allegro steering column I couldn't source one myself for an MX5 upper column.  In the end I had to by a Momo MX5 boss kit and then get an adaptor ring made up to allow me to mount the wheel on the adaptor.  See pic

If you don't mind a bit of work then this isn't too bad to do, otherwise I'd reccomend either sticking with a standard MX5 steering wheel or alternatively buying a Momo wheel and hub.  If you're also planning on using the Mazda clockset you might also find you wont be able to read them through the wheel if you change to a smaller aftermarket wheel.

You might have some problems if you try to fit a standard Westfield (Mountney) steering wheel to a Mazda kit.  

You might find this issue with many other parts for the Mazda SDV too - e.g. shock absorber lengths might be different, spring rates different, etc, etc... ;)

Shocks and springs etc are all identical to the other car engined SEIW variants, part number 3740056 for the set of 4.  Physically the chassis body/tub's don't vary significantly, only having some minor tweeks/ additional brackets etc to take the donor MX5 parts and different wishbones to accept the mazda's hubs and uprights.

If you're not sure on anything send me a PM.  I also didn't buy the completion pack for my kit, both due to price and the fact that I'm chaning so much on my build most of it would've be used, so I had to source alot of my parts separately from Westfield.  The other advantage to this is that it spreads the cost of the parts over the duration of the build rather than paying for everything up front and then trying to find somewhere to store it.

Mark

smokey, i didnt buy the completion kit for my sierra sdv, totally agree with you in not doing so. it meant a much more involved build and possibly more hassle but ultimatly more rewarding. ebay is your friend here, just keep an eagle eye out.

Thanks to all the above for advice, I'm sure it will benefit one or two other people also, seems this is a really useful site. Cheers, Brian.

i may have a rAC ROLL BAR NEXT MONTH

Will this be new????

May be intrested

May be interested
wise

If your avatar photo is anything to go by - check your helmet clearance to top of bar  ;)  ;)  ;) you want at least 50mm  ;)  :D

May be interested
wise

If your avatar photo is anything to go by - check your helmet clearance to top of bar  ;)  ;)  ;) you want at least 50mm  ;)  :D

Thanks Mark

Ill bear that in mind

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.