Which Westfield

ASTiMAN

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Westfield scene, but have been looking around for a little while.

Having sold my extensively modified 422bhp Impreza last year (and winning the local hillclimb event in April 2007, beating a Caterham R500) I am looking to venture into something cheaper to run for hillclimbs and track days, with the occasional road use.

So, I've thought about a megabusa or something with around 200bhp (vauxhall, ford?) preferably on throttle bodies. My budget would be somewhere around £13k max.

Could anybody shed some light on the pros and cons of each?

My thoughts are:

Megabusa

Lightweight, sequential box, high revving, low torque, reliability?

Vauxhall, Ford Engined

Weighs more, no sequential box (for my budget?), greater torque, better reliability?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated and also if anyone knows of suitable cars for sale. There seems to be a lot about but not many that exactly fit what I'm looking for.

Kind regards

Andrew

Hello and welcome to the site. £13k seems to get quite a decent spec second hand Westfield - and certainly the sort you're looking at come up from time to time on here. My personal preference is for the Vaux engined car - only because that's where my knowledge lies (having eeked similar power from mine to your Scoob).

For your total budget of £13k you may well pick up a decent Vaux / Ford engined car and then have enough cash left over to buy a 2nd hand quaife or elite sequential box though.

Thanks. I am kind of swaying away from the bike engined cars mainly because I am unsure about longevity and reliability (although I do love the sound and sequential boxes). I quite like the look of this:

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=65357

Finishing it wouldn't be a problem for me, collection I can sort, but bit of hassle (to travel from Isle of Man). Plently of budget left over for goodies. What do you think and what power would you expect from that Zetec?

Thanks. I am kind of swaying away from the bike engined cars mainly because I am unsure about longevity and reliability (although I do love the sound and sequential boxes). I quite like the look of this:

Finishing it wouldn't be a problem for me, collection I can sort, but bit of hassle (to travel from Isle of Man). Plently of budget left over for goodies. What do you think and what power would you expect from that Zetec?

First as you can see I am not a BEC fan so take my opionion with a pinch of salt.. A bike engine might have a shorter life than a car engine but cheaper, plenty of supply and you can pratically remove the engine with your bare hands and that includes the transmission.

That does look excellent value for money, you could throw a few £££K at the engine and have an awesome spec' build for relatively peanuts. :)

Yes that's what I thought, although I would expect that engine to make somewhere around 200 - 220bhp with big valve ported head, cams and throttle bodies. Would be enough to start with!

How competitive do you want to be with the hillclimbing?

Can't help but think with a circa 200bhp 2l zetec, Redtop etc, you would be fairly far off (though you may be a god like wheel smith, whose skills can make up for the deficet in power, I apologise if this is the case).  ie A well driven R500, would be quite a bit in front of you I guess.  Most of the competitive 2L Cateringfield machinery is running 250-300bhp.

But with a relatively stock Busa, you could be mingling higher up the field from the off (depending on the class structure in the events your in off course).

Trackdays, probably have equal fun in both.

On the road, may the Car engine would be more suited if you plan on touring around, if you just like a sunday morning hoon, a busa kicks a**!!

To be honest, I don't need to win events, just the fun of competing is good enough (although it is nice to get a good result!).

I managed to wrestle the Impreza (376bhp/ton) around the twisties just 0.03 sec slower than the R500 over a 40 second section. I have driven a fair few track days and only competed twice.

The Caterham superlight I drove at Palmersport was a completely different animal to drive and it will take me a few track sessions to get used to the completely different driving style of these cars.

The unfinished project does look good value with a lot of scope and decent power to start with.