• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• Mark Stanton

• John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

• VX2L16V

Or get hold of a standard engine from fleabay or a breakers ( rare as hens teeth I know) do the rest of the season with that, and spend the winter rebuilding it to whatever spec you want!

*IF* the heads ok Why not just drop a standard bottom end in with some ARP rod bolts    ???

That will get you through the rest of the season

In the meantime you could source the bit's required to build-up a nice spec' Bottom end during the Winter

That way You keep Racing and Keep the Westy in One piece     :xmas:

Seems a shame to break a car that You've spent alot of time developing for the sake of a Broken bottom end    :down:

Just a Thought...

What he said, first time I saw your car was saturday Dave, if you remember I commented on the spec and how well it looked. Don't do it mate!!!

Better the devil you know, it'll cost you a mint to start again.

many thanks for the comments about the car lads

:D for once in my life I'm going to listen :D

Been offered 2 std red tops, going to have a look today ???

old engine out later and strip the head off to take a look. If the head is OK then its a viable job if its knackered then I will have a re-think ???

Dave

old engine out later and strip the head off to take a look. If the head is OK then its a viable job if its knackered then I will have a re-think ???

Dave

Dave

We heard you the first time, Dave.

If you wand a hand with the rebuild, etc. give me a shout.

:D I must stop repeating myself ???

Thanks for the offer  Trev :D

just took the head off and all is becoming apparent :bangshead:

Got the engine with a pile of bills inc steel crank? steel arrow  rods, pocketed pistons, lightened flywheel etc etc

checked what I could externally flywheel etc

got the guy at the RR to do an endescope down the bores had pocketed pistons the cams checked against the bills so it all looked OK set the rev limiter to 8,400 engine made 245 messed with the cam timing to increas torque still made 235 :D

:bangshead:  :bangshead: Turns out it had standard rods and what looks lik a std crank  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

2 rods snapped putting 3 holes in the block and 2 in the drysump pan bent both engine miountings and fractured the dry sump mounting plate:bangshead:  :bangshead:

Ouch ............ standard crank isn't too problematic although steel is good to have - but if standard rods and no ARP bolts no wonder it let go - You actually ain't done too bad with it.

Get yourself another standard unit and bolt on what you can, drop in some ARP's  ;)  ;)  ;) o.k so not ultimate power at present ................. but enough to work with - rest of car is good and all set well  ;)  ;)  :D

You aren't the first and sadly probably not last  ;)  :)  ;)

That sound like a plan Mark :D

I will edit the post Now not for sale thanks for all the interest bit in-undated with PM's

but still a complement :D

PS it did have arp bolts just found one stuck in my undertray???

Cheers

Dave

standard crank is good for 9000 rpm im told but the standard rods are not.even with arp bolts.

let me know if you want some steel rods i have some on order.

regards  pete

Didnt know it had let go that badly. When i saw it you had just put on a new belt and given it a lucky escape. Sorry

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.