Tyre pressure, slicks

Libell

Hi everyone.

Here in Sweden we normally dont race Westfields/Sevens in hillclimbs (there is no class for them). But now I have been invited to attend in a "open class" on a hillclimb.

And I am going to use some slicks from sticky slicks (Michelin formula reanult). Maybe not the most ideal tyre but you take what you have. We are not allowed to use any tyre heaters, only some "easy burn out" before the start grid. So please give me some advise on tyre pressure ? (its a short race, 40 sec).

I hope to get out on the track before I go racing to do some quick testing, but what kind of grip can I count on with little to cold tyres ?

Some of the more "exotic" cars in this event is Ford RS200, MG Metro, Corolla WRC. How stands a Megabusa against these cars ?

Thanks for any  help  :t-up:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Libell

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

• mark.anson

• Terry Everall

Hi Libell,

You should do well against those kind of cars, but not with those tyres. They are great when warm, but take more than 40 secs to get warm and can be very slippy until they get there.

I am sure I will have some 2nd hand sprint slicks around, but do you have enough time ? to ship out from the UK. If so what wheel size do you use, width and diameter.

As to tyre pressure, you need to test yourself, but start of with 15psi, then adjust by measuring the temperature accross the tyre after a run.

Hope this helps

Nick

if you getting michelins make sure for the front of the car you get the 16/53/13 (renault fronts), they heat up much faster than the 20/54.13s (bmw fronts) niether will be ideal for a sprint though  :oops:

pressures I find 15psi hot on a busa is best  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Hi Libell,

You should do well against those kind of cars, but not with those tyres. They are great when warm, but take more than 40 secs to get warm and can be very slippy until they get there.

I am sure I will have some 2nd hand sprint slicks around, but do you have enough time ? to ship out from the UK. If so what wheel size do you use, width and diameter.

As to tyre pressure, you need to test yourself, but start of with 15psi, then adjust by measuring the temperature accross the tyre after a run.

Hope this helps

Nick

Hi Nick.

Thanks for the offer. Shipping to me takes normally 5-7 days. But bying another set + shipping fels maybe a bit "overkill" just for 1 race.

But it would be fun to get them something to wonder about  :cool:

There is 2 Busas in Sweden and mine is the only one that is roadlegal, so there isn´t many people knowing what kind of a car this is.

Edit. Forgot to say, the race is July 12-13 and I am using 13" tyres, 7" rims, tyre width ??? Somewhere around 180mm maybe

Nick if you send me a pm with your phone number then I can call you tomorrow and talk to you.

Cheers

Niklas

if you getting michelins make sure for the front of the car you get the 16/53/13 (renault fronts), they heat up much faster than the 20/54.13s (bmw fronts) niether will be ideal for a sprint though  :oops:

pressures I find 15psi hot on a busa is best  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Hi Jeff.

Yes its the 16/53/13 I have. Sence both you and Nick suggest 15psi then will start from there and we will se.

Thanks  :t-up:

Was that, by any chance, Mark Jackson commentating? ;)

They have 2 commentators during this race. 1 from Sweden and 1 from Norway. There is often both drivers and spectators from Norway.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a short report.

It has been a quite interesting weekend. First time on slicks, First real race with my Busa, First time on this Hill and then the weather changing every minute so you never knew what grip it was.

It was 3 runs on Saturday & 3 on Sunday. You had to count one run from each day.

At Saturday morning it was raining a lot, but before start it was drying up a bit. I made a safe run (it was better grip than I thought) and did second in class and fifth overall. Second run was dry with nice grip, but a small disaster happened. (look in the film).

Third race was wet. So had to count hte first run.

Sunday morning was rainy. It dryed up some before start and it looked okey, it wasn´t. Made some nice sliding  :p

110.jpg

Second run on Sunday and at last a dry run. It went quite okay. Some problem changing gear in a tight bend and some sissy driving in the last long lefthander made lose some time (not much though). Anyway this run made me go up in class lead and fastest 2wd.

Third run. Wet.

So overall a nice weekend. The two fastest guys, Moller in his Ford RS 200 EVO (700bhp) and Jansson in his Hyundai div 1 Rallycross (550bhp) wasnt much to do about. I was 1,48sec after the Ford and 2,07sec after the Hyundai.

Ohhh, and click the "Watch in high quality" text

Cheers

78.jpg

Nice vid, like the tyre warming before the run, not sure you can do that in the paddock over here?  :D

Great photos too, the sideways ones make you look a real hero  :laugh:  :t-up:

Great Video Niklas and well done on your first in class and fastest 2WD, that's a very good result for your first time at this event :D:D

Nice vid, like the tyre warming before the run, not sure you can do that in the paddock over here?  :D

Great photos too, the sideways ones make you look a real hero  :laugh:  :t-up:

The sideway driving is from my gene´s as an old rallydriver  :D

In a perfect world we had been able to "really" warm the tyres up, but you have to do the best of it  :t-up:

Great Video Niklas and well done on your first in class and fastest 2WD, that's a very good result for your first time at this event :D:D

Hi Nick!

I wanna send you a thank´s (Jeff also) for "pushing" me to source some proper tires. I got some help from the Swedish Yokohama dealer to get the right tyre for the right occasion. The Michelins I have is not up for the job.

I think I will not do any more races now. Then I can retire unbeaten  :p

cracking video and well driven  :t-up:  :t-up:  :cool:  :cool:

only thing I would remark on is you are changing gear too often, use the engines revs, a few times you are short shifting and the engine is bogging down and you will be loosing time , get it up in the red line before changing   :D  :D:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Well done on your first outing

Jeff is correct and you must rev the b*****ks off them to get max performance