Advice required re. damaged Megabusa

djdubs

Hi all.. this is my first post. I`ve been reading with intent to purchase a westy for a while. i`m not sure whether to buy new but am put off by not being able to get the megabusa in modular stages hence I am now going to view a damaged Megabusa tomorrow.

From the pics, it has had a frontal smash which has bent the osf chassis inc engine frame and tore off the wheel. The bonnet is damaged, as is the hub, arch, radiator, etc.. but I am told the rest of the mechanics are ok. My questions are..

Is this likely to be fixable (the chassis)?

Or would I be better buying a fresh chassis & bodykit from the factory and reshelling it?

What other bits should I look out for, ie. if there is no paperwork how can I tell if it truely is a Westy or some cheaper copy?

What does a dry sump look like, as I believe these are necessary?

Or... should I just leave it and buy new?? ???

Also, any other help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Duncan

Fill tank, catch tank, shortened sump, cam or belt driven impeller pump

Go to a local meet

Hi all.. this is my first post. I`ve been reading with intent to purchase a westy for a while. i`m not sure whether to buy new but am put off by not being able to get the megabusa in modular stages hence I am now going to view a damaged Megabusa tomorrow.

From the pics, it has had a frontal smash which has bent the osf chassis inc engine frame and tore off the wheel. The bonnet is damaged, as is the hub, arch, radiator, etc.. but I am told the rest of the mechanics are ok. My questions are..

Is this likely to be fixable (the chassis)?

Or would I be better buying a fresh chassis & bodykit from the factory and reshelling it?

What other bits should I look out for, ie. if there is no paperwork how can I tell if it truely is a Westy or some cheaper copy?

Or... should I just leave it and buy new?? ???

Also, any other help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Duncan

pretty sure Ive seen the car in question and I come to the conclusion at the asking price it would be more cost effective to buy a proper car.

oh and welcome  :t-up:

thanks for the input guys. its the one that was on ebay. it doesn`t look much but its at a salvage yard about 10 miles from me so thought it was worth a look. they want 5k for it.. what with a hayabusa setup costing approx 3k i thought it was reasonably sensible if its got enough extras to use/sell to make it worthwhile?

from what I could see...

no reverse box, no dry sump, crappy seats/ bike clocks in dashboard , chassis and bodywork looked scrap , blingy wheels  :oops:

unfortunatley Im not allowed to give an opinion on what I think ts worth  :angry:  :oops: but Im sure someone will be along shortly that will  :oops:  :D  :D

if its this one  ???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-y-....iewItem

thats the one! i`ve not bought it but the seller was supposed to receive a deposit this morning and its not arrived so i was going to have a look.

he says its got the reverse box?? anyway, it sounds like its not worth what there asking, would you say 3-4k?

Also, can someone explain why the megabusa is not available as a module kit yet there is a starter kit available.. according to the catalogue i have. Sorry for all the questions :suspect:

Cant answer your last question, perhaps ask the factory. ???

Looking at the pictures and what you have said, i wouldnt touch it.

It needs too much work doing to it, you could buy a decent 2nd hand Westy by the time youve finished repairing that.

Also, the seller has no history of the car. If it was for sale by the owner, at least you could ask questions.

Sorry :(

Finally, if he's 10 miles from you, can you ask if he'll sell the bonnet? If so, im interested. :t-up:

127815894_tp.jpg

I think it is too much looking at the damage you can see. The problem is what you cannot see! I built a car and sold it to Cocopops, it was hit after just two weeks on the road and the thing that was the decider in writing it off was that when he was hit the car spun and the engine over reved and broke something in the engine. Now if you are paying a lot because a Busa engine is £3k then that is a big risk.

You will also end up with a car that has a mark against it on the insurance database which will devalue it at resale.

For what you "might" save it is not worth it in the long term.

Well, I`m glad I asked! Suffice to say, I think i`ll give it a miss. Thanks everyone for your help.

A bit OT but.. My other option was to get a starter kit and use a 350bhp VW 1.8T engine setup I have but I dont know of a suitable gearbox that will cope with the extra grunt. I`ve done various searches and found the bellhousing conversion but it seems the type 9 and MT75`s aren`t up to the job.. any ideas? Thanks

I think the gearbox will be the last of your worries although there are a few people with plenty of power going through MT75's with no real issues. after all they were the box on the Sierrra Cosworth.

the VAG engine as a package is difficult to fit in a Westy hence the reason that very few have been done.

there are a few people with plenty of power going through MT75's with no real issues. after all they were the box on the Sierrra Cosworth.

Cosworth boxes were the Borg Warner T5, and they're plenty tough enough. You can hang them off any Ford engine with the type 9/MT75 bolt pattern 'cos the Cossie block is the same as the Pinto block as far as bolt placement is concerned.

The MT75 might be OK, the type 9 will be shredded...