Vintage motorcycle - Velocette Viper

Keith Scarfe

Very non Westfield but I thought I would post in case anyone may be interested. Feel free to remove if not appropriate.

I am having to try to sell, due to the death of my father, his motorbike. If anyone is interested please let me know or does anyone know what it is worth or the best place to advertise it.

Thanks.

Keith.

Details are as follows:

Velocette Viper.

350cc

Mileage: 27K

Tax: None (SORN’ed) 25 year Exempt

MOT: None

Colour: Black

This was my father’s cherished motorbike. I am selling this due to his death. I don’t know much about classic motorbikes or motorbikes in general, but here is a summary.

Very good condition. Chrome, paintwork and aluminium all very clean. Restored by previous owner. Purchased by my father in 2007 but never ridden by him. Dry stored.

Few spares (including panniers) and tools available.

Price £2500.

Located in Milton Keynes.

dcsf1959.jpg

dcsf1960.jpg

dcsf1958.jpg

Sorry I haven't got a clue how much its worth but it does look top quality so I wouldn't think you would have any problems moving it on.

I've been considering buying an old bike for a while to try get back on the road under the wifes radar (bikes were banned when the kids came along). I'd be quite happy to start the bidding at £500 in pound notes and i'll pick it up tomorrow but realistically I would guess its probably worth 8-10 times that in that condition.

Oooh nice, a mate of mine had one of the last Velocettes in 68' or 69' , it was a Thruxton 500cc, beautiful bike, they used to say the old British one pot bikes fired every other lampost  :D

Sorry to here about your Dad, good luck with the sale.

Isnt there a Velocette owners club? or a Vintage motorbike club? maybe a google search will come up trumps. Whatever you do, make sure you get it's proper value, I reckon it's worth quite a bit  :t-up:

Sorry to hear about your dad Keith.

Am trying to get hold of ex-colleague who races historic mbikes...will pass the URL onto him.

Condolences...

Its a lovely machine, I too have no idea what its worth, but PM me if you've got a price in mind, love old british bikes and if I can stretch to it I will...

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Think it's worth a bit more than 500, but I'll let you know. There was a reason my Dad didn't join the velocette owners club but I cant remember why, he joined the vintage motorcycle club instead, I have asked them already. Cheers Sam I will drop him an email. I hope it is ok to mention your name?

Hi Keith. Probably a good place to start is OBM. old bike mart. Cheap to advertise and widely read. It's mainly by subscription. Your Viper won't reach as much as it's 500cc cousin,The Venom,but should be pushing towards £3000 I'd guess.

Cheers, mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Price I am after added to first post. I have priced it at the lower end of the range given by Sams friend at Cheffins. Should be a good bargain for someone who would appreciate this bike.

Thanks for looking.

Hi again Keith. Just returned from classic bike show at Stafford,and felt my earlier advice may have been a wee bit shy of what you should expect to raise for your bike.  £2500 is the very least you'd be expected to pay for a "very average" 350 Velo.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.