drilling - 10mm steel plate

Flat Eric

Planning ahead.

Need to drill a number of 10mm holes into a piece of 10mm plate steel.

Will I be able to drill a pilot hole, and then gradually increase size, using a domestic drill?

High or Low drill speed setting?

Will I need to cool the drill bit.

Am I worrying about nothing - with new drill bit - should drill through as if its butter.

Planning ahead.

Need to drill a number of 10mm holes into a piece of 10mm plate steel.

Will I be able to drill a pilot hole, and then gradually increase size, using a domestic drill?

High or Low drill speed setting?

Will I need to cool the drill bit.

Am I worrying about nothing - with new drill bit - should drill through as if its butter.

10mm thick steel plate is pretty thick. Make sure you have *good quality* drill bits.

3 or 4 mm pilot hole, then increase in 1mm steps. Tedious, but it's the best way. Once the pilot is drilled, each drill bit has much less to cut through so cutting is easier on the drill bit and on the drill...

Medium speed, lube the drill bit with WD40, 3-in-1 or old engine oil or pretty much whatever you have to hand, as long as it's not butter or baby oil :blush:

Don't be listening to Blatman....... do it the real mans way. Start with a centre punch indentation and then attack it with a 10mm drill bit right away.

(please don't send me the bill for the 40 drill bits and the two new Black & Deckers though)

Start with a centre punch indentation

Bah, centre punch, what are you some sort of wuss? :p

and lean on the drill until the bit smokes.......... :)

ideally you want one of these too

.. seriously if you've a number to drill a Piller drill would make a lot more sense to keep the holes square (er.. as in round but at 90 deg if you get the drift), a local machine shop may even drill them for a small fee

drill a pilot hole first ,use a slow speed and use cutting fluid.

the only probelm you my have is the drill snatching

and ripping you arms off. :D

good drill and cutting fluid is the way forward :t-up:

as Hammy says a step drill will make life a lot easier.I bought a pillar drill from aldi £30 best £30 i've spent, or hire an industrial drill from your local hire shop, can be cheaper than buying a new drill.

lewis

I would use one of these havent found much it wont cut through

Step Cutter

Not much good though if the material being drilled through is thicker than the 'steps' - unless you want dual sized or 22mm holes ;)  :p  :D

stu, turn it over and drill the step out from the other side :p  doesn't work if the step is less than half the thickness though :D

Just keep at it with the centre punch I`m sure you will get there in the end :D

I got a set of them black and decker Pirhana drills  

costly but they cut  through steel like it was made of chocolate .

I use them for 316 stainless which is a lot tougher then mild steel , use a low speed and plenty 3 in 1 lube .

Helps if you have a pillar drill though  :t-up:

If it were me doing it I would drill 1 small hole, say 4mm, then go straight for it with the 10mm.

As already said use some kind of lube, a slow speed, and a pillar drill would be best.

Going up in 1mm increments will cause the drill to snatch and maybe break.

I would reccomend Dormer or other good quality drills, DONT buy cheap DIY drills and dont let your electric drill get to hot, hth

Paul  :t-up: