rac roll over bars

greenandmean

ok so from this response it seams that extension are legal as long as they are "properly engineered"

Which is also similar to previous posts about substantiating the structural integrity of the top member  ;)  ;)  ;)

It is still very much open to the intepretation of the on the day scrutineer  ;)  ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Asterix

• greenandmean

• Darkspeed

ok so from this response it seams that extension are legal as long as they are "properly engineered"

as you say its open to personal interpretation, not sure how many cars are effected in the speed series???

personal looking at my welded in RAC bar with welded extension, i would pick this setup every time over the standard bolted westfield RAC bar.

im sure the previous owner would take the same view to  ;)

looks like il be holding back on getting a new cage fittted then  :)

As Mark says, depends on the scrute, but I can't believe they'll suddenly go from wishy-washy about it last year to *black*and*white* this year. Your extensions *are* substantial☼ and that actual construction has a precedent at 10 of the events that you may appear at this year, including the first (and arguably the "scruty worst") at Croft.

☼ Several very helpful Village People rejects used them to push start me several times at Curborough (maybe that was where the starter problems...errr..."started").

Maybe I won't enter Curborough then

You'll be just fine  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  ;) don't be such a girl  :D  ;)  ;)  :D  ;)

You just know I will enter though   :devil:

Won't be quick....But boy will it be sideways  :devil:  :p  :t-up:

Wish I was there to see it  :down:  :down:  :down:  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

As a newbie to the speed series i'm pleased to see it isn't just me that gets confused by the Blue book.  :)

So, am I right in thinking that for a standard road going Sport 2000 with an RAC roll bar the top bar doesn't need to be 50mm above my helmet because its not a requirement in I.46 for unmodified road cars??

As a newbie to the speed series i'm pleased to see it isn't just me that gets confused by the Blue book.  :)

So, am I right in thinking that for a standard road going Sport 2000 with an RAC roll bar the top bar doesn't need to be 50mm above my helmet because its not a requirement in I.46 for unmodified road cars??

Many more, more experienced people than me but I am yet to see a scrute make anyone sit in a car during scruting, let alone get their tape measure out.

[edit] Seems it's your own personal view of how safe you are that matters in practice for this specific aspect. [/edit]

Your interpretation is incorrect - the top bar DOES need to be 50mm above your helmet clad head  ;)  ;) and yes it is sure to be checked some time during the season as it has ben for at least past 3 or 4 years  ;)  ;) and a Westfield does not fall into the unmodified road car category  ;)  ;)  :)

Thanks Mark. Guess i'll need to work out a way of lowering my head then.  :)

btw. What class is a road legal Westfield in as far as the Blue book goes?

I think it's class is defined by the Speed Series regs, not the Blue Book and will depend on engine size and windscreen or aero.

I think it's class is defined by the Speed Series regs, not the Blue Book and will depend on engine size and windscreen or aero.

ditto, if you're asking about the WSCC SS

What the other guys noted  ;)  ;)  ;) The blue book does not define any championship classes - these should be clearly noted in whatever championship you intend on entering  :D  :D  :D e.g. The Toyo Tyres/WSCC Speed Series - Classes A to H and the J's  :D  :D  ;)

I've entered the WSCC SS in Class B as its a road going Sport 2000 with a windscreen (and i'm very much a novice  :) )

I should have said category not class in relation to roll over protection, but I think i've got it now. Because it has an RAC roll bar I have to conform to the 50mm reg.

And I thought competing would be the stressful part  :D

I should have said category not class in relation to roll over protection, but I think i've got it now. Because it has an RAC roll bar I have to conform to the 50mm reg.

Spot on  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D and the stupid thing is you could remove your roll bar completely and there wouldn't be a problem  :down:  :down:  :down:  :durr:  :durr:

And I thought competing would be the stressful part  

Nope that's the easy bit  :D  :D  :D