rac roll over bars

greenandmean

...and they've never asked me to sit in the car for a measure

That's cos they can see you're short enough when you're standing up  :D  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Asterix

• greenandmean

• Darkspeed

A serious alternative to welding would be to lower the seat squab, and, or the seat pan area, but remember that the minimum ground clearance of 4cm with driver aboard must not be reduced I47 and C (b) 26K.

thinking of fitting a lowered floor panel

where is the 4cm measured from the chassis or the lowest piont on the car ???

I think we need some new car graphics Mr C  :D  :D  :D  :D ROFLAO  :D  :D  :D

where is the 4cm measured from the chassis or the lowest piont on the car
the lowest point which can sometimes be your bell housing or sump  ;)  ;)

well one more week of decorating and i can get to start looking for me westfield under all of the kids toys in the the shed.

better late than never .need to get me me A*** in gear :D  lots to do :t-up:

need to get me me A*** in gear :D  

...and a minimum of 4inches off the floor :D

no stu

4cm thats only just under 2inches . :D

but dont tell the wife  :D  :D  :D  :D

ok back to the topic of welded additions to RAC roll over bars

still no definative answer to the question, or not that i can make out reading between the lines  ???

i can see the aguement that welded additions can produce a point load not acounted for, in the original stress calculations.

however i hope that a certified RAC roll cage can withstand a point load at any given point along the top part of the roll bar, as in the event of a crash and roll, there is a high chance of hiting an obsticle that would incure a point load along the top of the roll bar. however i could be wrong?

as has been mentioned a simple solution its to add extra bracing, this would solve this issue, but is this really needed?

are there any structal engineers out there how could spread some light on the matter?

Hmmmm. Need to get measuring to see if I get anywhere near the 50mm lid/bar limit with the V8's lardy sports seats.............Somehow I doubt it :(

Maybe I won't enter Curborough then :bangshead:

Hmmmm. Need to get measuring to see if I get anywhere near the 50mm lid/bar limit with the V8's lardy sports seats.............Somehow I doubt it :(

Maybe I won't enter Curborough then :bangshead:

TAKE THEM OUT AND SIT ON THE FLOOR... :D  :p  ;)

Maybe I won't enter Curborough then

You'll be just fine  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :D  :D  :D  ;) don't be such a girl  :D  ;)  ;)  :D  ;)

Many thanks Mark and David still not crystal clear however I will await a possible reply from the MSA via David before dashing out to buy a new bar. In the meantime I have a reply from the MSA and I suspect it's the same as David is going to get =

There is no easy answer on this for the regulations have never made provision for such as ROPS extensions.  These have "sneaked in" and scrutineers take a realistic view if the extension is properly engineered and not excessive then it is accepted.  What is not acceptable is where competitors have done such as bolting on "extensions" by drilling through the main tube with a couple of 13mm dia holes which you will appreciate significantly weakens the basic structure.

Regards  John Symes.

Still seems to leave it open to personal interpretation but as stated already I will hang on and see if David gets anything different.

Paul

Could you send me a copy of your correspondence please  ;)  ;)

Thanks

Mark

ok so from this response it seams that extension are legal as long as they are "properly engineered"

as you say its open to personal interpretation, not sure how many cars are effected in the speed series???

personal looking at my welded in RAC bar with welded extension, i would pick this setup every time over the standard bolted westfield RAC bar.

im sure the previous owner would take the same view to  ;)

looks like il be holding back on getting a new cage fittted then  :)