Dwindling speed series entrants

machin

I don't think I can justify 5K to SWMBO to upgrade the car just to compete in a club series that at my age is in reality not going to give any return other than personal satisfaction.

Why else do we do this then?

Dammit, I forgot the huge prize money and entry into the F1/wrc feeder championships :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

How much did it cost to change the car and why  :0

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

• Asterix

• machin

I don't think I can justify 5K to SWMBO to upgrade the car just to compete in a club series that at my age is in reality not going to give any return other than personal satisfaction.

Why else do we do this then?

Dammit, I forgot the huge prize money and entry into the F1/wrc feeder championships <!--emo&:p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D

How much did it cost to change the car and why  :0

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

5k...meaning I've lost about £800 a year in depreciation.

Oh, and, "to go faster"*

:p

*I f**king hope so :blush:  :blush:  :D  :D  :D

Your a bit like me then, treat the SS as a bit of fun during the summer

Then just go out and enjoy yourself why worry about anyone else and what they have - all you have to do is test yourself  ;)  ;) have a word with Tim P and Stuart  ;)

Aero, 1B's and strip out  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  ;) a change is as good as a rest  ;)

You don't have to win to enjoy yourself in a sport.  I moved from A to C with about 135 bhp and 650kg. I only did one event last year but not because of my ability to win my class or not (which I can't). I don't have the time and spare cash anymore.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the one event that I did though (not registered in the SS though)  and would love to be able to do more. Seeing the video footage of my runs at Curborough showed lots of room for personal improvement even with my humble 135bhp/650kg car.

Long may the SS continue!

You don't have to win to enjoy yourself in a sport.  I moved from A to C with about 135 bhp and 650kg. I only did one event last year but not because of my ability to win my class or not (which I can't). I don't have the time and spare cash anymore.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the one event that I did though (not registered in the SS though)  and would love to be able to do more. Seeing the video footage of my runs at Curborough showed lots of room for personal improvement even with my humble 135bhp/650kg car.

Long may the SS continue!

Hi Ian seems your car is about the same spec as mine,  I do hope we will see you again next year.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Well that got a good response in a short amount of time...

1) I agree if I could actually drive properly I might do better.... (but I did put this in the original post!)

2)  The only reason the HSA series was good in terms of competition this year was because Rob Way and Colin Way were doing it in a very similar car.... next year it won't be very attractive at all.

3) I'm surprised nobody else mentioned the power aspect... if you talk to other competiitors in class A its quite a common thing that crops up.  I doubt Rob Way would've sold his westfield if he could've remained competitive for very little extra money... as it was he had the same options as me... and sold his car to do something else.. and I know he's not the only one who's at least thinking about it.

4)  I'm not against people spending silly money.. in fact it makes walking around the paddock more interesting!  

5) The fact that Stuart et al can get those sorts of cars around the track so quick is a real inspiration and I would gladly get beaten by them knowing that they've done so in similar cars.

6) I agree its all just for fun, but it would be nice if you were competing on equal grounds with someone with similar power.  Whilst at the moment there are people like Steve, Martin,  etc who have similar cars, they have each hinted at getting a higher powered car or doing something else.....

7) A look at some of the other clubs shows they have classes structured for low powered cars:- MG car club has a class for standard cars (impossible with Westfields I agree),  Porsche club uses a power:weight ratio for its classes.... Lotus club has a class for lower powered cars......

8) OK, yep got the bit about numbers wrong..... regardless the above debate, I think, is still valid...

edited to say:-

9) regarding bike engined cars... they would still be limited by the carbs just like a car engine is... for a given power the air flow per second is still the same whether its a 500cc engine running at 10,000 rpm or a 1000cc  engine running at 5000 rpm.  However, the BEC would still fall foul of the "sequential gearbox" rule and have to run in the higher classes as a result.

10) I thought the above was a good idea, posted it on here, turns out it doesn't have the sort of support I thought it would... so I'll shut up!  Glad we had the debate though.

R

Richard reading through your postings I am finding it difficult to fully understand why you compete in the Speed Series ???

There's a set of regs for every championship and perhaps you may find something which is more local and better suited to your expectations - closer events to your home, classes based on BHP etc etc

Perhaps I am picking up a wrong vibe but there appears to be very little which you enjoy in the SS - I am sorry about this and as much as the championship aims to appeal to everyone with a Westfield (and others) it is impossible and decisions are often made with the majority in mind and thus not always appealing to an individual.

Good Luck with your motorsport - I do hope you will enter the SS in 2008 and find some competition and enjoyment  :)  :)  ;)

I have run in Class B, ClassF and now Class H

It doesn't matter what car you have or which bits you have fitted. What does matter is whether you are trying to improve your own performance and times or to beat the opposition and win.

If you want to win you need to be a quick driver but also have the best equipment which improves your odds but costs big bucks

ask anybody in class H

If you want fun and no competition then trackdays are good but you will get p*****d off when powerful cars pass you on the straight.

Upgraditis is costly but many of us do it :oops:

Oops, yep agree it did come across like that.. no I love it... I guess I'm just worried because lots of people who have similar cars to mine have hinted that they're going to upgrade/ do something else and my suggestion might tempt them not to do it....

I will be here again for 2008, and I do plan on doing more rounds as I won't be doing the HSA championship next year as Rob and Colin have sold their Westfield....

R

edited to say:-

just incase people think I've got a real downer on the series:- Everyone in the speed series has always been really welcoming, and looking at any of the other series around it definitely looks the best (which other club could boast the sort of numbers and organisation that is achieved at Curbourough each year?).  

I think this sort of debate is healthy to have... it actually strengthens the series if we can discuss this sort of thing every now and again so that the general consensus is observed.

Again I want to reiterate that I don't blame my lack of results on the car... it is 90% driver skiller related!

Unfortunately it also highlighted the age old problem of not enough southern events  :down:  :bangshead:

Yep a sprint around Bodmin please.   :devil:

not enough southern events........up north we have lost jockhill,ollies and scamonden :bangshead:  :bangshead: so why ya going on about southern events :p  :p but well up for a few rounds in cornwall all down to matt's for tea :t-up:  :t-up:

Bit O/T but here goes:

The WSCC build/buy a a budget sprint car and detail the build/conversion for the WSCC magazine to show others what to do and how to do it,

The WSCC could offer the car out for hire throughout the season to anyone wishing to sample the Speed Series & Sprinting. Each round could also see a guest mentor shadowing said newbies throughout the days competition offering advice on set ups, lines etc etc

Not only would it provide the oppurtunity for newbies & novices to have a go on a budget it would provide a level playing field (providing nobody bends or breaks it) on which to compete.

Sits back and waits to be shot down :oops:

Good idea Slippy  :t-up: However, if my instincts are correct from the recent Motoring News article, there is going to be a competition to win a car to drive along similar lines coming up soon.

John

Hmm ok maybe combine the two then and have a duel drive situation on the go again highlighting how the costs can potentially be split ;)

Move over Stanton ;)

In my mind any motorsport costs big bucks and there will always be someone with deeper pockets than you, so pick one that you enjoy the most and only worry about the next step at a time.

My first one is finishing my first rally and not breaking the car at the Christmas Stages. My next target will be to win the Jack Frost :p  :laugh:  :blush:  :sheep:

Just being on the right side of the fence with a few mates is enough for me........for now at least.