Dwindling speed series entrants

machin

Barry

You are trying to be positive about the BARC/WSC championship - which is good - however please don't confuse the two disciplines - they are often very different in car set-up - to take a sprint/hillclimb westfield into the race championship or any race championship is virtually impossible without a full re-build     or new car

The rules and regs in the BARC/WSC Championship are much more restrictive, which is good for that discipline  

Cage and plummed in fire extiguisher is all I can think off

If I build a race car I would be looking to do some sprints to make the year more busy,

Edited to add not trying to be argumentative

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

• Asterix

• machin

What email?

The one you didn't get because you did more than 3 events :D:D:D so don't get worried you aren't missing out on anything  :p

What email?

The one you didn't get because you did more than 3 events :D:D:D so don't get worried you aren't missing out on anything  :p

whimper :D

To Answer Nicks email the reason I only did one event  as It only took one drive to work out that sprinting  wasnt for me ,granted  the one I did was local , but I wouldnt like to think I  had driven 4 hours spent a night away from home , to hang around all day for a couple of minutes track time then a 4 hour drive home again.   :(

I maybe didnt give it a fair crack and with hindsight  I may have been better doing a track I didnt know and maybe on sprint slicks so I was not comparing the pedestian pace I drove it at on 888s ,  to the pace Ive driven it on trackdays.  :suspect:  :suspect:

Cage and plumbed in fire extinguisher is all I can think off

If I build a race car I would be looking to do some sprints to make the year more busy,

Sorry Barry, don't want to be patronising in any way but it's not as simple as that  ;)  :(

Diff, suspension set-up, side impact protection foam - engine choice.

Very true though if you build a race car and do a few sprints - that is far easier as Class structure for most sprint championships is far wider than a race series  ;)  :D

Once you get out there and participating you'll see the difference - go for it  ;)  ;)  :D  :D

To get some cheap tyres
wrong  ;)  :)  ;)

Ok then, I didn't do any events... :down:  so how come I didn't get a copy  :t-up:  :devil:  :p  :D

My fault Pete, I had to transfer one list onto another and missed you out. Humble apologies. Have just e-mailed you the questionaire, please fill in and send back. I am sure your contibution will be useful.

Everyone elses has been. They have allowed me to build a picture of what people are looking for. So that we can where possible try and make the Speed Series more atttractive   :D  :D  :D  There have been lots of very positive comments back about the Speed Series which is encouraging to see. :D:D:D

Got it now, I thought I was left out as I'm just a 'J' class entry  :p  will reply tonight Mr Algar sir  ;)  :D

This thread is obviouslt diving off in many different direction as many a thread does, but to answer Machin's original post. He was almost alone in being worried about the power aspect.

Currently I have 31 out of 59 received e-mails which is a great response and thanks to everyone for this. Cost was a consideration in less than 25 % of the replies and more down to travelling to and from the event / lack of track time.

This boardroom is great for chat, but does occasionally go off on a tangent. This appears to be one of them.

However as Mark has already said one aspect that did come accross was the desire for more southern events, so I am working on that one to see what can be done. Without detriment to our other events. :D:D

You might have to ready yourselves for the "return of the Boghouse" in the V8 next season :0  :0

You were worried about me getting the VX sideways Nick.......Wait till you see me in this thing :laugh:

:laugh:  :0

The reason I/we did less than four rounds  in 2007 was down to a few factors:

VFM, I don't think sprinting in general represents good value for money on a £££'s to track time basis, I can appreciate the attraction once you get to a higher level and are swapping times with people or getting close to hill/venue records but the stage that we are at 'seat time' is priority and essential in order for us to progress as drivers, I'm sure you will agree sprinting in it's very nature does not offer that.

We struggled to get entry for most of the rounds, unless we got the entries off the same day of receiving them, and the dates potential competitors received the regs did not seem consistent, we would normally appear on the reserve list which is not a nice situation as we would be unsure whether to commit to other rounds when you could potentially end up doing both.

Distance is always a factor when selecting which events to contest and something like the Auto66 is more appealing due to the close proximity of the venues when like most SS competitors we are on a budget.

As many of you may be aware we have sold the Blade and now have rally cars in which we intend to compete in the 2008 North East Tarmac Championship although it would be nice to do a few of the local rounds such as Croft at Easter and Harewood for example but the main motive for entering these events would be for the social side as the 'craic' and camaraderie in the WSCC paddock is second to none.

It's good to see the committee actively seeking feedback from their 'customers' and genuinely I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the championship but I doubt there is little you/they can do about the above issues as it's just the nature of the sport not offering what I am looking for at this point.

Think this problem would be resolved by not limiting numbers of registered competitors. Keep it open, more money in the kitty for the club, more chance of more people doing more events. :)

Think this problem would be resolved by not limiting numbers of registered competitors. Keep it open, more money in the kitty for the club, more chance of more people doing more events. :)

Hi Graham,

There isn't actually any limit to the number entering the Speed Series, but there is a cut-off date (end Feb), so that we can make sure each event secretary has labels to sent out. Maybe the advent of e-mail and internat applications will change this requirement.

Cheers

Nick

This thread is obviouslt diving off in many different direction as many a thread does, but to answer Machin's original post. He was almost alone in being worried about the power aspect.

Currently I have 31 out of 59 received e-mails which is a great response and thanks to everyone for this. Cost was a consideration in less than 25 % of the replies and more down to travelling to and from the event / lack of track time.

This boardroom is great for chat, but does occasionally go off on a tangent. This appears to be one of them.

However as Mark has already said one aspect that did come accross was the desire for more southern events, so I am working on that one to see what can be done. Without detriment to our other events. :D:D

Err No  ???  ??????

I’m not actually sure which way to go next year. What I do know is I will be wasting my time competing in "C" next season with the car in its current spec. probably going to be 40 horses off the pace. I don't think I can justify 5K to SWMBO to upgrade the car just to compete in a club series that at my age is in reality not going to give any return other than personal satisfaction.

I agree with Machin, that the WSCC should incorporate a class in the series for members with entry level lower powered cars, which will in turn encourage more owners into the series and let the cheque book racers go in the direction they seek.

Not wishing to try and reinvent the wheel, but simply introducing an eight valve class up to 2.0L on 40's would go a long way in establishing a level playing field. This would negate the danger of someone entering with a full race 250+ BHP pinto, just to get the win. However I do think anyone going down that road would be seen by their fellow competitors, as not competing in the spirit of the class, and would be open to ridicule.

These comments are not intended in any way as a dispersion on the SS which I have thoroughly enjoyed, or a criticism aimed at the volunteer organiser’s and officials who do a sterling job. Merely an observation from my own perspective.  

:(  :(  :(  :(

Steve

I would disagree with this

probably going to be 40 horses off the pace
Your car has probably as much as a few other X-flows in C  ;) Tim, Stuart, Paul etc who are very much competitive.

and lets not forget Ty Croes  :p  :p  :p  :D  :p  :p  :p  :devil:  :devil:  :blush:  :blush:

You can't stay a novice forever  :D especially after collecting the Novice Championship in 2007   :D  :D  ;)

I don't think I can justify 5K to SWMBO to upgrade the car just to compete in a club series that at my age is in reality not going to give any return other than personal satisfaction.

Why else do we do this then?

Dammit, I forgot the huge prize money and entry into the F1/wrc feeder championships :p  :p  :p  :D  :D  :D