• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

What torque

green-light-on

Hi im going to buy a torque wrench soon, i only want a 3/8 drive one so would like to know whats the max torque used on any componant during a westfield build, theres no point getting one that goes past what i need any advise thanks Gray.

I think the highest on mine was 250Nm + 70degrees, the front crank pulley bolt on a Vx.  :0

There isn't a 3/8" one on the market that will cope with the torque required for the rear hub nuts, that's for sure!

Any specific areas you are intending to use it for? If a 'decent' make spanner is used with 'reasonable' force (just before the grunt :D ), then the torque shouldn't going to be far away.

Unless you are Mr Muscles, or alternatively Arnie :laugh:

The spanner bit is important, because thats why for example a 10mm spanner is not as long as the 19mm. If you use your socket set, you have to use the same sized ratchet for the whole socket range - which until you have had some practise, you may end up under/overtightening :t-up: Just use the ratchet to wind the fastener up first ;)

Edited to add - not forgetting to hold the spanner at the other end where possible when giving the final 'tweak' :t-up:

I stand to be corrected but I think the highest torque on any Westfield no matter what it is, is the rear hub nuts which require 250ft/lbs!

Oh you should go for 1/2" drive, 3/8" is for bicycles. My 41mm socket for the hub nuts was 3/4".

my torque values

Got one from Halfrauds 3 yrs ago, has done everything on the car so far.

For the cost i wouldnt worry about buying one that has settings to high.

Oh you should go for 1/2" drive, 3/8" is for bicycles. My 41mm socket for the hub nuts was 3/4".

??? I have one 1/2 drive torque wrench and two 3/8 drive torque wrenches in my tool box. Would not be without any of them. 3/8 torque wrench is a handy bit of kit to have if you can afford one of each. When servicing cars I always torque things like spark plugs up and do not find a 1/2 torque wrench accurate at torque settings as low as 17nm

??? I have one 1/2 drive torque wrench and two 3/8 drive torque wrenches in my tool box. Would not be without any of them. 3/8 torque wrench is a handy bit of kit to have if you can afford one of each. When servicing cars I always torque things like spark plugs up and do not find a 1/2 torque wrench accurate at torque settings as low as 17nm

Yep I have two torque wrenches as well  :p

Thanks boys i will get a 3/8 one first then a 1/2 when needed, im not doing a build but am taking a few bits off this winter and want to put them back on with the correct torque, well thats if i ever get doors on my garage a bit cold last night, thanks fish for taking the time to try the wheel on Gray.

well thats if i ever get doors on my garage a bit cold last night, thanks fish for taking the time to try the wheel on Gray.

No probs.  :)

Great hospitality and company, just furken freezing in the coldest garage ever. :p

You've got more than 3!  :0

<!--emo&??? I have one 1/2 drive torque wrench and two 3/8 drive torque wrenches in my tool box. Would not be without any of them. 3/8 torque wrench is a handy bit of kit to have if you can afford one of each. When servicing cars I always torque things like spark plugs up and do not find a 1/2 torque wrench accurate at torque settings as low as 17nm

You've got more than 3!  :0

Yes but only three that I keep in by tool box for daily use mate. If you count my race box and the one in the workshop I think I am up to six or seven.  :p

Or is it eight :D

And how many of those eight have been calibrated in the last 12 months  :p

Only three the others are checked against the calibrated three so all eight if you like. How many of yours would you like to say :p

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.