2lt black top zetec hyd tapets

new bear

now here is one for you all to get your teeth into i got a 2lt black top as you do on a 1999 so started to play with it changed the head gasket lighten bits and bobs you no the list

any way putting it back together and do you just put the hyd tappets back in buy new or put them in a vice and sqeeze the oil out as ive been told help as i want to put it all back together  thanks all

well all i can say is iam s**t at timeing and all that sort of stuf and i was told there hyd by ford and ford up the road 2nd ford that is say they are shimed all i can say is

they look like little buckets with a top that spins round with a little cut out of one side and they dont seem to come apart as there is no shimes to see with your eye  could tx a pic if any one can help

They should be shims which are quite thick and sit on top of the bucket which spin around, there is a small notch on the edge of the bucket so the shim can be removed for service.

Sometimes they put the size on the back of the tappet shim.

thanks for the info gerothro

thanks perksy for your kind offer to postt pics for me

right then here goes just had yet another look at me buckets lol and they here goes all look the same as gerothro said about the shims i went and had a look and took one off and its just a thick shim on the top ok so far not hyd tap then but they still all look the same so what do i do now we all no  :durr: when it comes to tappets do i just refit them and hope for the best or do i need to reshim them

Have you fitted different Cam's or just put the old ones back in   ???

Did you keep the Shims in order and know where each came from   ???

Or have you mixed them all up    ???      :oops:

First rule of dissasembling anything mechanical

mark each part or make a drawing etc. so you know how to put it back  :t-up:

your (ex!) friend hasn't done you any favours then! :(

You will need to whip all of the shims out of the buckets. If you look carefully, you *should* see a reference to the size of the shim on the rear face (non cam side) of the shim (hopefully). If not, you will need to use a micrometer to measure the thickness of each shim in turn, and make a note of it.

The shim-less buckets will need to put back into the head, together with the cams. Using the thinnest shim, place it into each bucket in turn, and measure the clearance between cam and bucket, with the lobe on the valve being measured pointing away from the bucket. Add the clearance figure you have measured to the thinnest shim, and then subtracting the specified clearance figure from the total will give the required shim thickness for that valve.

Note: the buckets will need to go back into the same 'holes' too once measured up as above, or you will have to start agian from scratch...

yer can get a Micrometer and a Vernier caliper  had a look at the shims and there is no markings on them on the rear face the only mark on there is a latter e stamped on the inside of the bucket where the shim sits and its like that on all the shims just e

Follow Stu's advice above mate   :t-up:

Each shim will be a different size, you need to size up each individual shim and put it in the required place

You didn't take the Valves out aswell by any chance did you   ???