Different Air Filter or Shorter Trumpets

Bean

Oh b*******, I really should have taken everything into consideration before starting to fit my carbon (mickmade) air filter plate and PiperX filter. :down:

The VX engine is sitting nicely in my narrow bodied car, until today I hadn't even trial fitted the bonnet or nosecone. Luckily for me they both fit fine, 10mm gap above rocker cover and bonnet. :)

I offered the back plate up to the carbs, marked the bolt holes (not the big holes for trumpets) and drilled. All looked good, well one hole was a bit elongated :bangshead: Fitted the filter to back plate and realised the actual back plate will stick out the side of the bonnet, the filter part I expected but not that actual back plate.

Having decided that looks ****e, tried offering the filter to the carbs without back plate fitted (thought I'd change to a flat type back plate) to find the trumpets are too long for the PiperX to fit over. Never mind a 20mm gap at end of trumpet, the filter won't even reach a back plate. :blush:

So, I've got to buy a new flat air filter plate. But, should I change the 60mm trumpets for shorter one and use the current filter or leave the trumpets alone and buy a deeper air filter? I believe the ITG filter is deeper. ???

I'm off to get a beer :(

P.S. Anyone want to buy a mickmade air filter plate pre drilled for a VX running twin Webers?

So, I've got to buy a new flat air filter plate. But, should I change the 60mm trumpets for shorter one and use the current filter or leave the trumpets alone and buy a deeper air filter? I believe the ITG filter is deeper.

IMHO, a deeper filter will be a better solution. Remember to take into account clearence between filter and upper engine bay chassis rail - things can be a bit tight there too... :t-up:

Well, I am somewhat impetuous so I've ordered an ITG back plate and a 100mm deep filter.

The chassis rail is tight but there is just enough room. :)