Bonnet cutouts

Lurksalot

In all honesty, if you have a filter pressing up on the inside of your bonnet, and no trumpets, then you are going to benifit......

You will not nsee huge power gains, but I'd wager your car would feel better, as mentioned try ging for a quick drive with no bonnet and see what happens.............don't get hung up on the ramair effect though, gains would be more down to the fact that your carbs / TBs can breath better............

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lurksalot

• stu999

• MAT1800

• higgsti

Stu, did you make that scoop and/or is there an almost off the shelf solution for that part at least??

They are (or at least, were) available from SBD. However, they are not quite as well finished as mine now is - especially around the intake entrance.

Here.

Fuggin expensive last time I looked too :(

Cheers, I'll have to put that on the list for when my numbers come up then...  :D   :D

More important then air inlet speed is temperatur.

Cooler = better.

Forced air inlet (ramair) anyway works only at very high speed.

I got significant improvement on my CVH 1600 by fitting a longer air filter inlet tube that takes fresh air near the right front suspension (instead getting warm air behind the radiator as before) and insulating the inlet manifold from the exhaust manifold heat with a home-made  :blush:  heat shield.

Before

Auspuff_01.jpgAuspuff_02.jpg

now

Hitzeschutz_005.jpg

Hitzeschutz_006.jpg

Had been thinking about doing the bonnet cut out thing for a while, but had got to the same position as Stu - in thinking that the hole would probably allow hot air to escape but probably wouldn't allow the filter to suck in cold air (unless it's extended out of the bonnet line and into the forward air flow). As a result, decided not to bother but (and hate to say it) took a lesson from the cateringvan fraternity :blush:  which have a low level air scoop as an option on some of the R cars.

Now have a sccop sitting under the steering column  and below the nose cone(as low as the sump) with a 60mm ali hose feed to directly adjacent to the filter - which feeds lots of lovely cold air directly onto the trumpets at speed. I know this works, as I've also got an under bonnet temperature readout on the dash (sensor next to the air filter) which reads significantly lower with the scoop on than it does off :t-up: . Entire set up came to less than £25, providing you're happy to utilise some resoures imaginatively!!!

Can post pics if anyone is interested and I can figure out  how to.

Mike

Hi Stu forgot to mention in my original post that as well as drilling holes in the bonnet, I also opened up the six air vents at the top of the bonnet near the bulkhead, drilled and meshed 3X3in holes in each side of the tub and heat wrapped the exhaust. The reason I did this was not to improve performance, but that during the summer before last, when I took the car out for a blast ,the heat build up under the bonnet, caused the engine to loose power and cough and splutter at low revs. Which then meant that having parked the car for a short time it was impossible to start, unless I took the lid off and let everything cool down for a while.

Since I did these mods I have had no further problems. I am not suggesting that just drilling holes in your bonnet is the way to more BHP, but providing an alternative inlet for cold air in and exit for heated air out solved the problems I had .

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Had been thinking about doing the bonnet cut out thing for a while, but had got to the same position as Stu - in thinking that the hole would probably allow hot air to escape but probably wouldn't allow the filter to suck in cold air (unless it's extended out of the bonnet line and into the forward air flow). As a result, decided not to bother but (and hate to say it) took a lesson from the cateringvan fraternity :blush:  which have a low level air scoop as an option on some of the R cars.

Now have a sccop sitting under the steering column  and below the nose cone(as low as the sump) with a 60mm ali hose feed to directly adjacent to the filter - which feeds lots of lovely cold air directly onto the trumpets at speed. I know this works, as I've also got an under bonnet temperature readout on the dash (sensor next to the air filter) which reads significantly lower with the scoop on than it does off :t-up: . Entire set up came to less than £25, providing you're happy to utilise some resoures imaginatively!!!

Can post pics if anyone is interested and I can figure out  how to.

Mike

i would be interested in some pics