a few practical westfield questions!

andyismilesaway

Hi all,

after deciding i am wanting to build a 7 type (now decided on westfield) in the foreseeable future im trying get as much info as possible (im looking at a 1800 modular build for 95% road 5% track), and i have stumbled accross here, hope someone can answer my Qs in no particular order:

1) i read the standard rollbar is basically cosmetic, is this true? is it that bad? and does having the RAC rollbar make having a hood or functional boot impossible?

2) I appreciate westies arent going to be the most practical of things ever, ive had a test drive and found it okay. what are they like on long(ish) lourneys though? i had a '73 beetle so im used to no heater, comfort etc. but is a couple of hundred mile trip possible?

3) what sort of mpg can you expect? (depends how its driven i know :( )

4) Also having tried to read a lot of build diaries to see what the build really entails ive come to the conclusion the manual is not great. is this still the case as it does put me off slightly.

i think thats all!

cheers!

Good Luck  ;)

1. For optimum safety go for an RAC spec roll bar - the single hoops are cosmetic  ;) Boot box covers can be fitted with some trimming as can hoods after some fettling works, if you really want a hood  ;)  ???

2. With comfy seats the westfields are fine for long journeys - drove mine to Le Mans in 95, 96 and 97 wih heater and some padded seats no problems  :D

3. You know that answer already  :devil:  :D

4. Westfield recognise the build manuals need a major update and work is being done + their is excellent technical back-up from the factory and right here  ;)  :D

welcome :)

1) standard rollbar is going to be a cosmetic addition - as it has no rear ward supports it will politely fold away in the event of an accident, leaving your head to take up the braking of the car ...  RAC rollbar is recommended due to this, and yes you can get the hood to fit over it.

2)I havent done a massive journey before but as I have a fibreglass race seat i got a bit of a numb bum after 100 miles.  We've got a few US road trippers here who will be more qualified to answer for you - it'll depend on the type of seat you have and your suspension setup too.

3) You shouldnt really be thinking too much about this as once you're sat behind the wheel you will be driving economically very infrequently.  That said with fuel injection i think peeps can return around 30 mpg, with carbs it'll be 20-25 ish.

4) never built one but I imagine writing a manual that covers every tiny bit of advice is gonna be a tiresome read to say the least.  Tech support at the factory is 2nd to none and there'll be tonnes of support for you on here and from your local area i can assure you  :t-up:

3) what sort of mpg can you expect? (depends how its driven i know :( )

On a long easy run the Purple Throbber can easily average 30 MPG. That does drop significantly if you 'press on' though :)

Andy

Just finished building mine (1800 zetec injection), the manual does have a small few holes...but when you get into it you start to see the way wf were thinking when they wrote it! So it all starts to makes sense!!

I had only a small amount of previous experience (keeping a vw camper, tr7 and a couple of other older cars on the road in the last 10 years or so)  and have managed to complete the build and have only a few very minor issues when the sva came along.

I also think the tech support from wf is superb, you don't even get laughed at when you ask a really dumbass question!!!! And this site is also a gold mine of info..... every mistake you make or problem you come across has been done before so a quick search or post for help always comes up trumps!!

Good luck

I built a modular 1800cc Zetec in 2005. All bits bought new from the factory. Started in February and SVA'd and registered in September 2005.

As others say the roll bar is cosmetic and an RAC one would be better and safer.

If you want a car which is being used 95% for the road then go for the standard Westfield seats. I've done journeys of 200 miles and there was no discomfort to me.

MPG???? I get 34 out of mine on throttle bodies.

As regards to the build manual, at least there is one! Try building a Robin Hood, they have no manual. I found parts of the manual were out of date or did not represent the parts I was screwing together, but as another member said their Technical Help Line is a phone call away and I had numerous conversations with Mark at Westfield and everything got sorted in one call.

Just make the decision and go for it, I promise you will not be disappointed.

We did 4000 miles in 2 weeks when we joined up with the USA 2005 tour, and covered 625 miles on the longest day.  The car has carbon fiber seats and with simple seat cushions in place we were quite comfy.  

-John

One quick question - I'm assuming you are going for the 1800 zetec.....in which case unless you already have the engine, why not go for the 2ltr?......Install will be the same, and you can get them VERY cheap now....I noticed GTS tuning are selling them brand new for 750 quid!!!!!..........

Well tbh my thoughts went from...

Hmm, i like those kit car looking things, to i like the 7 looking kit cars.

i then thought the RAW striker looked really nice, I then  came to the conclusion westfield would provide a better build quality, product and hold its value.

the plan is to go for a complete module build rather than a SDV type route to try and make its as much like giant mechano as possible. not the impression i got from RAW where lots had to be fabricated.

so yes, i was thinking that basically the Ford engine was the plan (is it the duratech) that comes with the modular build?

thats the thinking anyway, and "comfy seats" as itd be a predominantly road car so maybe it could do fair distances!

Hi and welcome.

Do WF still actually do the 1800 modular build? I thought their supply of Zetecs had dried up. The current sort off equivalent being the Puma engined 1600.

I built an 1800 module buid in 2004-05, see my build diary in case you've not found it already (link in sig).

I haven't done the long journeys that some have but I do quite like a break after and hour or so to stretch the aged legs.

Fuel consumption? Not a major consideration for me, I just start looking for fuel after 150 miles from a full tank.

Hope you get one and enjoy the fun and frustration of the build. As others have said the factory support is just excellent.

ah, you could be right, from talking to people at westfield they didnt mention the lack of any 1800 engines however in the module build list there are only two 1.6 options and one 2.0 option.

135, 150 and 200 bhp the first two being sigma engines?

are there problems or complications with the sigma options?

ta

...and the 2 liter being the Duratec ally block engine.

Yer pays yer money and makes yer choice!!

Allegedly the 1600 - also called a Zetec S engine - is a nice motor as it's light-ish. But then it was WF who told me this, and they would wouldn't they?

You would need a comment from someone on here as to how it goes, though 150 bhp and some 50 kg lighter than a 1800 Zetec E car should  be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.6 Zetec-SE engine as they now use is an all alloy engine like the 2.0 Duratec. So yes they are very light, Ford have been fitting these in early Focus's and Fiesta's from "W" reg. The later engines are better (2001 on) and are known as phase 2 engines.

Ok, another quick question.

How do these lovely cars handle speed bumps?

Are they a No No or are they okay if taken really slowly?

I see there are issues with low sumps and kits to get round this.

However if you see a speedbump and have about 60mm of sump clearance does that mean you have to find another route?

Are speedbumps a real problem? (the roads round my way (Devon) arent great see)

thanks again!

Allegedly the 1600 - also called a Zetec S engine - is a nice motor as it's light-ish.

... and as a result a bit awkward to put in :(

The type 9 gearbox (which is what they supply with the 1600) seems to be a heavy old lump and as a result the angle of dangle when hung off an engine crane is about 45 degrees.

Anyway got it all in now :durr:  :durr:

Rory's Dad