• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Zetec Engine Number

Sallback

Picked up a 2L Zetec from the breakers yard today and started cleaning it up. Unfortunately the engine number is illegible :(  Tried rubbing it down with emery as was suggested in another thread however the corrosion is too deep.

The question is, are there any other ways of verifying engine age that are acceptable for an SVA test?

Thought about going back to the breakers first thing and trying to salvage the cars VIN plate (if its not allready in the crusher!)

you are on the right track!!!! I had the same problem when i put a old Zetec in my car, i could not make out the number at all, " I know of a mate" that went to the scrappy, fond a Mondeo that was the correct age, pre June 95 i think, for the emisions and used the engine number off the plate. this particular car and engine would never be used again and was going to be crushed, "He" then sent a letter off to the Ford Technical centre who verified the age etc by fax. if you need the info to contact them then PM me. just to let you know there is very few older Zetecs that you will be able to make out the number on, so this is youe easiest move. since my car was SVA'd i have stuck a brand new Zetec engine in that has no number on at all.

hope this helps.

Problem solved. Spoke to the people in the breakers yard yesterday, they were very helpful. Got a call this morning and they have offered to exchange the block for one with legible numbers on it. Result :)