Mr Pritchard

cast iron

It's good to see that some debates continue year after year!

Rather than generalising that this will discourage novices, it could in fact encourage some too as if they are reasonable, they could stand a better chance at gaining a good score.

For example, when Westy competed in class B a few years ago, there were a number of occasions when he also took class wins on the day over some of the class D guys (early season while Ash was still tinkering with his car  :D )  Westy wasn't able to score full points due to the number of competitors in B, but would have scored substantially higher if the competitors in D had also been counted.  

Swings and roundabouts...a neverending debate... ???

FWIW, I became an expert with MSA class wins

What you mean like your infamous 1B and noscreen class 2B win at Llandow  :xmas:   :love:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mid life crisis

• cast iron

• greenandmean

• woodman

The speed series has evolved and changed over the years to reflect the current situations and requirements. This is reflected in the new regs.

Why should a novice expect to win a prestigious title such as the SS when they proably have been beaten every week by drivers in similar cars.

I think the novice class awards is sufficient

Also 2 class A/B wins is the min IMO ,there has been too much upgrading over the last few years resulting in class A sometimes only having a few competitors.

Although i agree that you should only have to beat class A/B and not the experts as well.

So why not write in the regs that class A&B will not be eligable for overall honours, and leave the class structure as it was?

Paul

Why shouldn't they be eligible for overall honours if they're good enough? (Good enough to beat C/D that is!)

some very good points Steve. I too only bought a cheap Pinto road car and got hooked on trackdays and then SS

Great banter, driver,paddock etc etc etc

If you are happy with the car just drive it at suitable events including SS

get through this "mid life crisis" and stay with us ;)

Next rule change, if we allow it, will be any make of car "with a special award to the winning Westfield driver".  

Lets all make sure this never happens.

Steve

I think you'll find that other 7 type cars were allowed in the SSeries last year BUT are now no longer permitted in any other class than J, which i think cannot win the overall SSeries... ???

I was not priviy to the making of the rule changes and might have wanted some other changes...........

Unfortunatley 'You carn't please all the people all the time'

Good luck in the season ahead... :t-up:

Can I ask Mark if he would have entered so many meetings and travelled so far afield last year if he had not had his eye on the overall championship and not just WA class?

Sounds like self preservation for the upper classes to me!

Geoff :angry:

Yes you can ask Geoff. I understand where you are coming from as I have moved to Expert status, but at Croft last year for example as a novice I beat the Experts. Therefore it is possible.

I travled as far as I did to win A. Loton was entered early and I could have canceleld it, but an overall win was in sight and I had to try.

I dont think there is any need for an angry emoticon? ???

Can I ask Mark if he would have entered so many meetings and travelled so far afield last year if he had not had his eye on the overall championship and not just WA class?

Sounds like self preservation for the upper classes to me!

Geoff :angry:

Yes you can ask Geoff. I understand where you are coming from as I have moved to Expert status, but at Croft last year for example as a novice I beat the Experts. Therefore it is possible.

I travled as far as I did to win A. Loton was entered early and I could have canceleld it, but an overall win was in sight and I had to try.

I dont think there is any need for an angry emoticon? ???

Hi Mark

The angry Emoticon was not aimed at you personally.  I think it is a reflection of my feelings about my personal performance at Croft, where after coming 2nd last year, this year I knocked 3 seconds off my time and came last in class.

I don't know why I am concerned about the amalgamation of the classes, as I am obviously not going to pose any problem to the rest of you guys and gals.  It will not make any difference to me, as I appear to be taking my more customary place.

See you this weekend.

Cheers

Geoff

Paul

Why shouldn't they be eligible for overall honours if they're good enough? (Good enough to beat C/D that is!)

No reason at all David, my personal view is there was nothing wrong with the points system as it was. Just trying to find a way of making sure we don't lose the novices whilst at the same time appease the people who appear to be mounting a witch hunt against them winning the series outright.

Suggest you wait for the publication of the results - they are in a different format to reflect many TQF requests and the wishes of CR's who attended the SSOT last year and represented the views of Novices and Experts alike.

Just got the results from Dimanche, do I read correctly Rob Way gets 17 points for winning a combined A/C class, but Stephen Lewis still gets 17 points for being the first of three class A drivers. If this is a correct assumtion and class C drivers are not taking points away from class A drivers then I take back all past postings as this is ok by me. Unfortunately this was not as the rumours stated, I do hope I have made the correct assumtion and if so apologies to Mr Robinson, should have done has you suggested and waited for the results. :bangshead:

Suggest you wait for the publication of the results - they are in a different format to reflect many TQF requests and the wishes of CR's who attended the SSOT last year and represented the views of Novices and Experts alike.

Just got the results from Dimanche, do I read correctly Rob Way gets 17 points for winning a combined A/C class, but Stephen Lewis still gets 17 points for being the first of three class A drivers. If this is a correct assumtion and class C drivers are not taking points away from class A drivers then I take back all past postings as this is ok by me. Unfortunately this was not as the rumours stated, I do hope I have made the correct assumtion and if so apologies to Mr Robinson, should have done has you suggested and waited for the results. :bangshead:

Paul according to the regs that is wrong. Classes A & C and B & D will be amalgamated for points calculations therfore for example from A & C you can only have one person scoring 17 points at any one round. I dont agree with it either as Mid Life constantly points out, if you can't win C while in class A you can never be sure of your points for a class A win. :(

Geoff I hope I can be as fast as you in my later years :)

Interesting :p

Does this mean that if Ash and Matt turn up to a meeting and beat a single Class B entrant (Mr.X), that Mr.X still gets 17 points (as there were 3 in class).

Glad I'm not worried about points this year  :D

Hope you all had a great weekend at Three Slappers and Cadwell !

Be assured I am behind the keyboard computing results and ask you to wait a little longer. The CR's are in the loop in getting the correct interpretation of the regulations in the fairest way possible to all, especially the Novices.

However, the old adage about pleasing everyone all the time etc is going to get an airing at some point soon !