Mr Pritchard

cast iron

There are in fact novice drivers in all the classes. In E,F,G & H they have always had to compete against the whole class. A & B are now realigned with the whole SS, but have retained a class "title" and result structure not enjoyed in the other classes.

Julie Black is a novice, as is Richard Carroll, Andy McDonald, Jeff Cooper (Just promoted by beating experts and an MSA win 1st time out), Peter Cox, Slippy, Funbob, Stew & Em, Matt Turner, Andy Gom, Andy Hawkins, John Fisher, Martin Keene, Neil Willis......the list goes on.

Howard, all credit to you, realign your goal, not give up. Don't forget the "expert" status given in the SS with a 17 point win was promotion only to a SS expert. In the MSA's eyes you are still a novice until you win a MSA class.

FWIW, I became an expert with MSA class wins, I never had a 17 pointer until last year, yesterday was only my second!! All down to lack of numbers.

Edited to add:- Even though it makes little difference to me, in fact probably works in my favour, I support the %age difference idea to equalise long and short tracks.

Point well made........ <!--emo&:t-up:

Have to say i agree with you on all points (oups!) :D  :blush:  :p

Why should WA & WB get prefferential treatment ???

They don't they are seperate classes.

And as stated in the regs will be scored in class with C&D so why start moaning now????????

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mid life crisis

• cast iron

• greenandmean

• woodman

Suggest you wait for the publication of the results - they are in a different format to reflect many TQF requests and the wishes of CR's who attended the SSOT last year and represented the views of Novices and Experts alike.

To be honest we are lucky to have a novice class. And I agree that a novice shouldn't be able to win the championship outright but this is not the way to do it.

As the way it stands it will all be down to the length of track you compete at if you want to win A you will need to pick the shorter tracks where you won't lose too many points as lets be honest thats whats going to happen.

The way to do it would be still have the novice as a seperate class but reduce the maximum points to 16 leaving the points structure the same from then down thus negating the problems as mentioned above and still ensuring a novice does not win the outright championship.

Bit of a no brainer really or is that too easy. ;)  :bangshead:

Rob

I agree Rob seems very sensible.  ???  ???  ???

Not to start another debate (cos it makes little difference to me) but are the cars in A and C the same, and B and D the same?

If so, why do they have separate novice / expert classes, as for those guys who end up in E - H, it isn't split but they have to be in those classes due to the type of car!  I dont understand (airhead alert again!!)    :durr:  :durr:  

So, I have decided class E is going to have a novice section, and an expert section, and the slowest novice will win an award!!!  I am guessing that'll be ME, so thats good news - a guaranteed prize!!!   :p   Yipeeeee!!!  :p  :p  :p

Which other championships value novice drivers more ?

That is what made the Speed Series differant to every other championship, as I understand it Tom Green's original criteria was for a low cost entry level championship which favoured the novice to encourage new blood into the sport. If I am wrong then I have no doubt someone will let me know and perhaps our championship is no differant to everyone elses.

The speed series has evolved and changed over the years to reflect the current situations and requirements. This is reflected in the new regs.

Why should a novice expect to win a prestigious title such as the SS when they proably have been beaten every week by drivers in similar cars.

I think the novice class awards is sufficient

Also 2 class A/B wins is the min IMO ,there has been too much upgrading over the last few years resulting in class A sometimes only having a few competitors.

Although i agree that you should only have to beat class A/B and not the experts as well.

All I remember from Croft is having fun. I'll earn my wins, whatever the rules, in time (and even if I don't, it will still be the best laugh I've had in a long time).

To the SSOT I say  :t-up:

All I remember from Croft is having fun. I'll earn my wins, whatever the rules, in time (and even if I don't, it will still be the best laugh I've had in a long time).

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Can I ask Mark if he would have entered so many meetings and travelled so far afield last year if he had not had his eye on the overall championship and not just WA class?

Sounds like self preservation for the upper classes to me!

Geoff :angry:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

i fart in your general direction :D  :D  :D  :D

The speed series has evolved and changed over the years to reflect the current situations and requirements. This is reflected in the new regs.

Why should a novice expect to win a prestigious title such as the SS when they proably have been beaten every week by drivers in similar cars.

I think the novice class awards is sufficient

Also 2 class A/B wins is the min IMO ,there has been too much upgrading over the last few years resulting in class A sometimes only having a few competitors.

Although i agree that you should only have to beat class A/B and not the experts as well.

So why not write in the regs that class A&B will not be eligable for overall honours, and leave the class structure as it was?

Novice awards are very important and should be maintained IMHO

But, personally unless they beat the cars that are similar A/C and B/D it does not seem right that they win the overall SS.

I moved up from F this year and I could have stayed there with upgraded engine to challenge again for overall SS but I want good competition and to improve year on year. Sure I like trophies (got lots of em :laugh: ) but I want to test myself against others without any "allowance"  In other words car against car and driver against driver. Best manwoman wins :oops: