HELP Sump probs

tankerman24

Hope you guys have some advice, today I have been trying to get the sump off my Crossflow, I have undone all the bolts apart from the back two near the gearbox, the nuts are  behind a plate that appears to be sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox bell housing  :suspect:  I cant get to the bolts caus of this plate . Am I going to have to part the engine from the gearbox and how hard is this going to be? does it involve undoing the gearbox mounts and prop, any advice would be appreciated. I was supposed to be taking  the other half out tonight but by the time I got out of the garage it was too late oops :( .

If you can undo the bell housing bolts and the engine car be pulled forward 1/4" the plate can be pulled out ( its held on two small dowels). You might need to support the engine and undo the mounts to achieve this tho- I'd suggest a  piece on wood with a jack under it near the rear of the sump, undo the mounts and jiggle the engine forward a bit until the plate is free, then push back and rebolt up the mounts. If you've an over head block and tackle even better ( two strong blokes and a scaffold pole will do it).

On my car someone cut this plate in half and when i undid the bell housing bolts it just fell out ( oh yes have to take the starter out too).