VX Tappets

Bean

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but are tappets in the c20xe normally serviceable, can they be cleaned?

I've cracked my engine open for a rebuild, just as well since the headgasket looks like it would have failed in the near future. Looking at the tappets, most are pumped up but several are soft and can be pushed in.

I'm wondering whether if they're going to rattle much, worth cleaning or repkacing.  ???

Yes they can be stripped down and cleaned out; the usual way of opening them up seem to be tapping them sharply on a block of wood to remove the plunger bit.

There's a fairly detailed set of instructions doing the rounds somewhere, (got a copy at home, but not on the laptop) a search of the boardroom should find it.

Yes they can be stripped down and cleaned out; the usual way of opening them up seem to be tapping them sharply on a block of wood to remove the plunger bit.

There's a fairly detailed set of instructions doing the rounds somewhere, (got a copy at home, but not on the laptop) a search of the boardroom should find it.

I've done a search but the link goes to a blank page unfortunately.

I thought they were unserviceable.  ???

It seems to have moved, I found it at clicky

Always worth checking out MigWeb for anything VX related.

Thanks, I checked migweb but they've got a crap search engine  :bangshead:

Found the link off Google in the end.

I'll probably have more questions tomorrow, after stripping the head completely  :oops:

dont take the insides out the lifters its a waste of time and once they come out there a bugga to get to stay in and can fall out

instead just squeeze all the oil out in a vice with a very small socket on the inside piston and reuse  then and then they will be fine squeeze them slowly and a few times so it gets all the oil out